1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Lower ball joint install

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 03:28 PM
Wideglide
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower ball joint install

Replacing U/L ball joints, tie-rod ends, shocks on 2003 Durango RT AWD.
Pressed in the lower BJ only to find drive axle boot will rub across the top and on the zerk fitting (see 1st pic).
The previous BJ was the factory install - the one with a flange crimped all the around the top where it passes through and attaches to the lower control arm. There were no clearance issues with the original BJ and the boot (see 2nd pic). That boot was installed a couple years ago and is still in good condition.
The replacement BJ is a Valucraft V104293 from Autozone. Its secured at the top with a snap ring, so an extra ~5/16th" extends beyond the top of the control arm attachment point; the zerk adds a little more, bringing the total height to ~1/2".
As far as I can tell the steering knuckle is properly attached and riding at an appropriate position on the BJ, and maybe a little high since the castle nut is clearly well above where the cotter pin hole is (see 3rd pic).

I've looked at photos of other proper fit BJs, they appear to have a similar design, but the dimensions I need to truly compare are not provided. Comparing the Valucraft to the original, the VC is longer overall (see 4th pic). When lining them up at the point where the BJ contacts the knuckle, there's more length to the shaft, so its possible the knuckle rides a little lower, closing the gap between the boot and the control arm/BJ. Or am I way off . . . ?

Anyways, still not sure if its a boot issue, an BJ fit issue, or an install issue. Any thoughts/tips on how to proceed?
In a bit, I'll head to the local AZ to ask at the desk.

Last edited by Wideglide; 07-26-2019 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Lower ball joint install