1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I started out wanting new valve cover gaskets...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 381 Likes on 342 Posts
Default I started out wanting new valve cover gaskets...

Mods, please move to Dakota forum. Thx...

... and you know how these things go. With high mileage, you start figuring all the other stuff you can replace while you're there, so it starts to balloon. This is the 4.7L with over 306K mi.

1. Truck lets out a puff of smoke now and then accelerating from standstill. So I figure it's time for new valve stem seals. Do you guys stick with Mopar on those? (I ran block test solution to rule out HG and it passed) Truck also recently passed emissions with no issue.

2. Truck clatters when cold for about 30 seconds. Been doing that ever since I got it. Pretty sure it's the hydraulic lifters bleeding down. Do guys stick with Mopar? From what I hear, they can bleed down even when new. Then there are solid lifters, but I don't want to have to go back in and adjust lash anytime soon.

3. I thought of putting HO cams. But... don't the HO engines have two plugs per cylinder and possibly better valve config? I have one per cylinder and would hate to do all that if it can't take full advantage of it.

...awaiting your thoughts.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 09-16-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:37 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Mods, please move to Dakota forum. Thx...

... and you know how these things go. With high mileage, you start figuring all the other stuff you can replace while you're there, so it starts to balloon. This is the 4.7L with over 306K mi.

1. Truck lets out a puff of smoke now and then accelerating from standstill. So I figure it's time for new valve stem seals. Do you guys stick with Mopar on those? (I ran block test solution to rule out HG and it passed) Truck also recently passed emissions with no issue.

2. Truck clatters when cold for about 30 seconds. Been doing that ever since I got it. Pretty sure it's the hydraulic lifters bleeding down. Do guys stick with Mopar? From what I hear, they can bleed down even when new. Then there are solid lifters, but I don't want to have to go back in and adjust lash anytime soon.

3. I thought of putting HO cams. But... don't the HO engines have two plugs per cylinder and possibly better valve config? I have one per cylinder and would hate to do all that if it can't take full advantage of it.

...awaiting your thoughts.

From the firewall forward, the Dakota and Durango are as close to one as it doesn't matter. Is the engine staying in the truck? Have you kept the coolant changed every 5 years or so? With 300+K on it, I don't think I'd go wild. New gaskets and seals and while you're in there, check all the rubber and plastic lines. Run the Mark One eyeball over everything and replace anything that looks iffy. As for hotter cams and lifters, what if the engine decides to pack it in after another 10 to 20 thousand miles? Now, if you decide to pull the engine, I'd put a high VOLUME oil pump in it along with replacing the expansion plugs. If the engine is staying, I wouldn't bother until they started giving trouble.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
From the firewall forward, the Dakota and Durango are as close to one as it doesn't matter. Is the engine staying in the truck? Have you kept the coolant changed every 5 years or so? With 300+K on it, I don't think I'd go wild. New gaskets and seals and while you're in there, check all the rubber and plastic lines. Run the Mark One eyeball over everything and replace anything that looks iffy. As for hotter cams and lifters, what if the engine decides to pack it in after another 10 to 20 thousand miles? Now, if you decide to pull the engine, I'd put a high VOLUME oil pump in it along with replacing the expansion plugs. If the engine is staying, I wouldn't bother until they started giving trouble.
Not pulling the engine, it stays in the truck. Everything looks good condition-wise and it feels like it can do another 300K. Coolant is kept pretty fresh. I use distilled water when mixing.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:50 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Yikes... the lash adjusters (Mopar part # 53021077) are almost 20 bucks apiece. At 16 needed... I'm starting to rethink this. Not sure what good aftermarkets there are.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mo...+adjuster,5768

I can get them a bit cheaper at Mopar parts websites, but at the end of the day, I'm still hovering around $300. Tick baby tick!

Last edited by Dodgevity; 09-16-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Yikes... the lash adjusters (Mopar part # 53021077) are almost 20 bucks apiece. At 16 needed... I'm starting to rethink this. Not sure what good aftermarkets there are.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mo...+adjuster,5768

I can get them a bit cheaper at Mopar parts websites, but at the end of the day, I'm still hovering around $300. Tick baby tick!
Okay, revisiting this. Just wanted to share in case anyone is seeking lifters (really lash adjusters) for the 4.7L. I've decided on using Sealed Power brand. Made by Federal Mogul...pretty cheap and made in USA. I ordered 16 from Advance some weeks back and when I went to pick them up, I found that I was given a mixed sets of lifters that look like these... (they didn't have a full set of either, so I returned them)

When I looked at the boxes, they were identical part number. The one on the left with the black cap is the bottom box. Apparently they were redesigned and now old is being mixed with new.

So having returned these suckers, I called Federal Mogul and spoke with a tech. He explained that the black caps are the newer model, redesigned with better valves, so it wouldn't leak down and cause the clatter you hear when cold. I reordered online, requesting just the black. Got 25% off on Advance and the whole set of 16 was around 80 bucks.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (11-06-2019)

Quick Reply: I started out wanting new valve cover gaskets...