1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help - 99 Durango 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 07:02 PM
Quinne Bustamante
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - 99 Durango 5.9

I have a Durango, its giving me some issues and I can't really afford to replace the battery or the starter without knowing for sure what's going on. Sometimes, not always, I will turn the truck on and it just clicks once. Lights come on just like they are supposed to. Sometimes I will continuously turn the key over before the truck actually starts up. It doesn't make any other noises or sounds. Just that one click. A weeks ago it was doing multiple clicks but has stopped since then. I've seen multiple posts about what it could be. Anyone else dealt with this and know what's going on?

***added: I already took it to an auto part store to have the codes run but since the check engine light isn't on, it won't pop up any codes.

Last edited by Quinne Bustamante; 10-08-2019 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 10-08-2019, 11:23 PM
Bmango21
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a multimeter handy, check the voltage at the battery across the terminals. Let us know what you find. The old test with lights is to turn them on and if they dim significantly when cranking, it indicates a weak battery. Could very well be a poor connection on the battery terminals too.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinne Bustamante
Sometimes, not always, I will turn the truck on and it just clicks once.
That's your starter going bad. Next time it clicks, have someone hold the key in start position while you knock the starter with something heavy, like a hammer. It should jump to life. That can get you out of a jam till you get it replaced/rebuilt

Quick Reply: Help - 99 Durango 5.9