1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Cv Axel help (removal)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 06:21 PM
MopaR_MilitiA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cv Axel help (removal)

Ok so I'm changing the driverside hub bearing and CV Axel, let's just say it's not going well. I've gotten everything but the section of axel that the half shaft slides into. While trying to pull it off all but the section I just mentioned broke off. No matter what I do I can't get that part off and frankly, I'm losing my mind lmao. I've tried a gear puller, hammering on it, hitting the back of it using a chisel, wrapped a ratchet strap around the back it the housing and attaching a slide hammer to it, cutting the majority of the housing off with a sawzall to make a little more room, and I removed the front differential cover and tried to remove the c-clip in there. Nothing has worked, I had so much faith in the gear puller but the center bolt you tighten down wasn't long enough. I've been thinking about taking a blow torch to it seeing as it's getting decently good here, and then whacking it a few good times with a hammer. I'm hoping some of you have some tips and tricks I just haven't thought of. Thanks in advance.

The following users liked this post:
Brandon Woolstenhulme (11-02-2019)
Old 11-02-2019, 09:12 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Can't tell exactly what part you broke and what's removing from your description, pictures would be helpful.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:59 PM
ZeroFox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced everything you mentioned on my 02 Durango R/T and then some. I had no issues like your having. The drivers side half shaft came out with the little stub shaft that goes into the carrier but I put the center portion of it in the vice and hit the end with a dead blow hammer and it came apart.I also replaced the CV Axle seal and put new shafts in. Alls it took was a few hits on the end of the half shaft to pop it off the splines.

Quick Reply: Cv Axel help (removal)