1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

180 tstat.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 12:32 AM
Orion Wright
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 180 tstat.

So I just did a major tune up on my D. Timing chain and replaced damn near everything except for valves. I am not overheating but ordered a 180 stat off rockauto. Does anyone have an input for it? The brand is motorad. Got more mods coming just trying to keep my D cool for summer months.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:26 AM
Zingo
Professional
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's wrong with the 195 stat?
Everything is engineered and tuned to run fine and stay cool at 195.

If you wanna put in a 180 go ahead and give it a try, maybe it'll work well for you, if not, it can be easily changed back to a 195.
But' I've contemplated that same decision myself in the past and all the research I've done suggests it's either pointless or even has slight negative affects for a daily driver stock truck.

If you're wanting to keep your truck cool a better route may be to invest in stuff to reject the heat and keep it at 195, like thicker radiator, good fans, etc;
​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Last edited by Zingo; 06-20-2020 at 01:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Orion Wright (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 01:47 AM
Orion Wright
Amateur

Nothing wrong with it. I just put a new efan on cuz the stock one wasn’t working. Still think I should pull my clutch fan too, it’s not engaging. I looked into a inline adapter for the lower rad hose to run the efan off a one pin temp sensor. My D is a Canadian one and is super close to noon every time with the 195 stat(91celsius). Which is 100 degrees Celsius. I have the 195 motorad fail safe one in now. I haven’t check head bolts but hardly doubt it’s anything head related. It’s was .01 off true when I checked after a wicked head gasket job. The D is stupidly powerful just looking to run her cooler and want max power from my engine. It’s not a daily driver mind you!!!

Last edited by Orion Wright; 06-20-2020 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:11 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 381 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Orion Wright
Still think I should pull my clutch fan too, it’s not engaging. I looked into a inline adapter for the lower rad hose to run the efan off a one pin temp sensor. My D is a Canadian one and is super close to noon every time with the 195 stat(91celsius).
Well, if your fan clutch ain't working, that would explain high temps. Fix that instead of changing the thermostat. Which engine are you talking about? If it's the 4.7L, I would suggest not going lower temp. Running the oil cooler can cause sludge issues. Remember, engines collect water due to condensation, which needs to burn off.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 06-20-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:23 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Orion Wright
Nothing wrong with it. I just put a new efan on cuz the stock one wasn’t working. Still think I should pull my clutch fan too, it’s not engaging. I looked into a inline adapter for the lower rad hose to run the efan off a one pin temp sensor. My D is a Canadian one and is super close to noon every time with the 195 stat(91celsius). Which is 100 degrees Celsius. I have the 195 motorad fail safe one in now. I haven’t check head bolts but hardly doubt it’s anything head related. It’s was .01 off true when I checked after a wicked head gasket job. The D is stupidly powerful just looking to run her cooler and want max power from my engine. It’s not a daily driver mind you!!!

Every Fail Safe thermostat I've worked on failed. I won't use them. Either I've gotten a vehicle with it stuck open or it failed after installation. Sometimes in a couple of weeks. Since you have a computer, don't run the 180 unless you reflash the computer. Your fuel mileage will tank. Otherwise it will be stuck in open loop mode and keep injecting extra fuel to warm the engine up. Normally it will just waste fuel but it can wash the oil off the cylinder walls.

Orion Wright (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 04:05 PM
Orion Wright
Amateur

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Well, if your fan clutch ain't working, that would explain high temps. Fix that instead of changing the thermostat. Which engine are you talking about? If it's the 4.7L, I would suggest not going lower temp. Running the oil cooler can cause sludge issues. Remember, engines collect water due to condensation, which needs to burn off.
i finally replaced clutch fan and that fixed everything. No heat or ac, sitting right at 91 Celsius. Got a new efan to just in case sense it kept it under 210 by its self. My D can be consider a daily now. Head gasket job done.

Dodgevity (06-21-2020)

Quick Reply: 180 tstat.