1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Instrument cluster dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2020, 04:34 PM
Orchid70
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Instrument cluster dead

Almost totally dead instrument cluster - the car still runs.
Durango 2002, 4,7L
Right side turn signal indicator works.
The back lighting on the cluster house works.
Fault code P1698 - No bus communication
I can only connect to engine PCM/ECU - no other ECU on the car, with OBD reader
There is 12 V on the right hand connector, pins: 2, 6 and 7
There is ground on pins 4 and 5
But, pin 9 (violet/yellow) should have reference 5V - looks like this, ignition off at first.

With Crankshaft positions sensor, Camshaft positions sensor and MAP connectors removed - the same, the instrument cluster is dead
Short somewhere - but where?
Or PCM, engine ECU?
The car was not used for about half a year. There was no problems before that.

Old 08-09-2020, 03:24 PM
Orion Wright
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having same exact issue. Unplugged every sensor one at a time. Didn’t fix it. Took out instrumental panel, no bad connections. Only thing I haven’t done is get a new PCM. I’ve replaced every fuse and relay everything electrical works and my car starts and runs. Only intermittent starts up for a second than turns off but crank it over 3 seconds later runs perfectly fine. At a lost here....

Old 08-09-2020, 03:49 PM
Orchid70

Originally Posted by Orion Wright
Having same exact issue. Unplugged every sensor one at a time. Didn’t fix it. Took out instrumental panel, no bad connections. Only thing I haven’t done is get a new PCM. I’ve replaced every fuse and relay everything electrical works and my car starts and runs. Only intermittent starts up for a second than turns off but crank it over 3 seconds later runs perfectly fine. At a lost here....
Thanks Orion.
Have you tested the wires with a multimeter? You dont have to test the 5V at instrument cluster - its the same that goes to the OBD2 connector! Its the second from the left, top row, on the OBD2 connector. Wire is Violet/Yellow in colour.

The right hand connector behind the instrument cluster:
Ground on pin 4 (Black/Yellow)
Ground on pin 5 (Black)
12V on pin 2 (Blue/White) - fuse 14
12V on pin 6 (Pink) - fuse 1
12V on pin 7 (Red/White) - fuse 8
5V on pin 9 (Violet/Yellow)

Pin 1 - Transmission
Pin 10 - Brakes
Pin 8 nothing

The left hand connector has the background lights (duse 9), headlights, turn signal indicators, seatbelt indicators, gear indicator, high beam

Orion - does your right hand turn signal indicator work as well? But not the left side?
Lights work - but the high beam doesnt - only the indicator for a breaf moment?
Did thin happen suddenly one day for you?
Do you normally use the car every day?

These cars are very rare here in Sweden. This car has been imported here.
But, when (if), I ever crack this mystery - I will definitely let you know =) I try to be good in that! I hate when people just vanish with their solution (I guess).

Old 08-09-2020, 03:58 PM
Orion Wright
Amateur

Thanks for the input. Every electrical works, turn signals, wipers, headlights high beams. The only thing that stops working is my gauges. It happened two days ago out of no where. It’s intermittent too. I’ve replaced MAP, CRK, Cam sensors when doing a head gasket job.

I don’t have a volt meter to check for 5 bolts, but like I said everything works as it should, only sensor that I haven’t replaced is the governor pressure sensor in the Tranny, and I haven’t checked the TPS sensor either. Guess that will be the next spot I’ll check.

Last edited by Orion Wright; 08-09-2020 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:22 PM
Orchid70

So do I understand this correct - in your case - everything else ON THE CLUSTER works except gauges?
Our cluster is dead - exept for right hand turn signal INDICATOR light (the green arrow on the cluster), THAT works for some od reazon...
Turns indicator pulbs in the rear and in the front work. Also the hazard lights work - but the green indicators on the dash doesnt.

That pressure sensor on the tranny I wasnt even aware of. Where is it located?
Also - I just realised - I only checked out the right hand camshaft sensor. Are there two of them?
What is CRK?

Old 08-09-2020, 08:33 PM
Orion Wright
Amateur

Originally Posted by Orchid70
So do I understand this correct - in your case - everything else ON THE CLUSTER works except gauges?
Our cluster is dead - exept for right hand turn signal INDICATOR light (the green arrow on the cluster), THAT works for some od reazon...
Turns indicator pulbs in the rear and in the front work. Also the hazard lights work - but the green indicators on the dash doesnt.

That pressure sensor on the tranny I wasnt even aware of. Where is it located?
Also - I just realised - I only checked out the right hand camshaft sensor. Are there two of them?
What is CRK?
correct, I have No Bus in odometer, no gauges every dash light, but all indicator lights work.

i forget the fuse I think it’s 10 for the cluster and that’s the fuse box in the dash.

the pressure sensor is in the valve body in the tranny. Just drop the pan and have to take the valve body out. not a big deal and you get fresh fluids while at it.

The CRK sensor should be on the same side as the Cam just under the exhaust manifold. I have read that if it’s not sensor related for the dash saying no bus than it’s the CTM or the PCM. I’m thinking’s it’s a sensor due to my car running fine and having no issues except an intermittent idling for starting up. Which would be a shorted sensor in my theory. I’m going to replace the crank sensor next weekend and see what it does.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:30 AM
Orchid70

Thanks!
Im about to do some measuring with oscilloscope and let you know, when I know something.

About your idling issue - have you checked all the Vacuum and air hoses? I think it was a vacuume hose, on this car, seated on the throttle body it self - that had cracks on it, in the end thats connected to the throttle. After I fixed those with vulcanising tape, the owner told me the problem with engine reving problems disappeared.

CRK = crankshaft sensor then?

Old 08-10-2020, 10:07 AM
Orion Wright
Amateur

Originally Posted by Orchid70
Thanks!
Im about to do some measuring with oscilloscope and let you know, when I know something.

About your idling issue - have you checked all the Vacuum and air hoses? I think it was a vacuume hose, on this car, seated on the throttle body it self - that had cracks on it, in the end thats connected to the throttle. After I fixed those with vulcanising tape, the owner told me the problem with engine reving problems disappeared.

CRK = crankshaft sensor then?
okay, I don’t have an idling issue I have an issue when no Bus comes on the D doesn’t want to continue idling. It’ll start for a second than die.

CRK is the crank sensor yes. I’m going to get a volt meter and prove today and check where I’m losing power. Once I figure that out I’ll be replacing wires.

I’m on the highway it started up without no bus

Old 08-10-2020, 02:54 PM
Orchid70

Central Time Module - its located under the Left COWL SIDE INNER PANEL (drivers left foot side).
I noticed water under the plastic piece that keeps that ^^ cowl panel on place.and when I took out the largest, top connector on the TImer module - I could see corrotion.
Just getting to open it and see.
I have forgotton from where I got the Sevice book - here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/2cg2hg...anual.PDF/file

Old 08-10-2020, 02:56 PM
Orchid70

No ABS, Airbag, Check engine indicators - no text on the left - and no transmission indicators work for me.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster dead