1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 miles out of a idler arm

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 07:40 PM
Overkiller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 miles out of a idler arm

Howdy all,

I rebuilt my front end on my 99 4x4 rango about 2000 miles ago using Mevotech parts from RockAuto. I plan to SAS the turd but the money isn't right yet so I replaced everything and got the truck professionally aligned hoping to get through one more set of tires before I cut it all off. I jacked it up today to rotate tires and grease the front end and much to my infuriation the idler arm has excessive up and down play already. Truck is on 265s and hasn't seen any offroad use beyond a muddy yard since the rebuild. As I recall I have the 14mm idler on my truck. Last one died early too but at least it died turning aired down tires in Moab and only had a tape measure and eyeball alignment.

So I'm a bit frustrated after trying to do things right and I'm hoping someone knows of an upgrade or at least a brand that'll last at least 10000 miles. If not I guess I'll get a lifetime warrantied one from a local place and change it out every oil change, which seems too ridiculous for words.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:19 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I've had moog tie rod ends go bad in less than 700 miles before. So far I have had decent luck with mevotech supreme parts (haven't tried regular). Aftermarket parts in general are just complete **** anymore.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:26 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 381 Likes on 342 Posts

Mevotech is cheap Chinese junk. Some Moog is too. Look for Moog made in Mexico.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:22 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Seems like both moog and mevotech have their cheapo and slightly less cheapo lines anymore. With moog, the problem solver stuff still seems to be decent. I won't touch the regular stuff. Mevotech seems to be about the same with their supreme vs regular line. So far I've had decent luck with the mevotech supreme line. Their TRX line (or whatever it is) seems to be decent too. I've got those TRX balljoints on my Durango and supreme control arms and balljoints on my Charger (they were the only greasable ones I could get). So far so good with those.

Quick Reply: 2000 miles out of a idler arm