1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fixing her up

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 12:45 AM
LanceMac
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing her up

Ok so I have a 2000 Durango 4x4 with a 4.7L and I have a deep personal connection to this truck, ive been doin alot of work to it this pass year. Have some problems with wiring for example I have LED almost all the way around it but when I turn my fog light on "LED" MY hi bean light on thr dash comes on and now my key doesn't unlock all the doors when I turn the key twice to unlock them and if you open any of the doors the alarm goes off. I have replaced both back doors and hatch recently " I took all my components out of the old doors and put them in the new doors but it still worked. I went through a car wash that's when the problem arose. Can y'all help me out on this ones

Old 05-31-2021, 07:58 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If the fog lights are the last thing you changed I'd put them back to stock and see if that fixes it.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:29 PM
LanceMac
Amateur

Originally Posted by that_guy
If the fog lights are the last thing you changed I'd put them back to stock and see if that fixes it.
Those where the first things I changed. With the regular light bulbs everything works fine but when I put my Oracle LEDs in that's when it started

Old 05-31-2021, 02:18 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Filament bulbs and leds work very differently and have very different electrical characteristics. Odds are one of two things is going on here, current that used to backflow through other filament bulbs isn't happening, or the computer running the lights isn't seeing the current it needs to, after all they were not designed to work with leds. Either ditching them or adding load resistors are gonna be your options.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:04 PM
LanceMac
Amateur

Originally Posted by that_guy
Filament bulbs and leds work very differently and have very different electrical characteristics. Odds are one of two things is going on here, current that used to backflow through other filament bulbs isn't happening, or the computer running the lights isn't seeing the current it needs to, after all they were not designed to work with leds. Either ditching them or adding load resistors are gonna be your options.
see I was thinking that but wasnt sure and I have some I didnt end up needing for my turn signals so ill give that a try

Old 05-31-2021, 05:54 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

I don't know that the computer would care about the fog lights.

I replaced my fogs a long time ago with LED units, but it was the whole assembly, not just bulbs. Haven't had any trouble with these. Well, actually they were fogging quite a bit and water would infiltrate during heavy rains. They are open at the back, so I glued a door rubber weather strip around the circumference, which filled the gap with the bumper hole and keeps water from flowing to the rear of the units. I cut the wires on the old fogs and added random plugs from junkyard vehicles when connecting the units...not hard to find waterproof plugs there. They came with a bunch of wiring and a switch but I ditched those and got them to work off the original switch. Just giving you ideas.

Old thread of mine: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...and-tails.html

Last edited by Dodgevity; 06-01-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:06 PM
LanceMac
Amateur

I ran mine to the factory fog light wires and after putting a load resistors on I'm still getting the high beam indicator light that comes on when I turn my fog lights on
Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I don't know that the computer would care about the fog lights.

I replaced my fogs a long time ago with LED units, but it was the whole assembly, not just bulbs. Haven't had any trouble with these. Well, actually they were fogging quite a bit and water would infiltrate during heavy rains. They are open at the back, so I glued a door rubber weather strip around the circumference, which filled the gap with the bumper hole and keeps water from flowing to the rear of the units. I cut the wires on the old fogs and added random plugs from junkyard vehicles when connecting the units...not hard to find waterproof plugs there. They came with a bunch of wiring and a switch but I ditched those and got them to work off the original switch. Just giving you ideas.

Old thread of mine: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...and-tails.html

Quick Reply: Fixing her up