1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Body work causing issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 12:22 PM
Russell072009
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body work causing issues

I recently replaced the passenger side outer rocker on my durango. To so this I pulled the passenger fender and both doors. After replacement I had to make a very slight adjustment to the front door for proper alignment with the latch. When I installed the fender I ran into an issue. The original fender was rotted at the bottom so I got a replacement from a yard in FL from a truck that was not damaged. It more or less lined up but I had issues with the bracket for the hood hinge. The bolt holes were so high I had to use a pry bar to get the holes to line up. I can't figure out what the issue is and am assuming I'll have the same problem on the drivers side when I do that rocker panel. Last year I had the front body mounts rebuilt and I thought the body might have sagged from years without front mounts but the fender lined up ok with the core support and the rear top and bottom bolts next to the door and rocker were fine too. I also had an issue with the middle bolt on the firewall inside the wheel well. If the body sagged I would think I would have an issue with alignment on the core support not the body side. I thought about shimming the body mount but I don't see how that would fix it if the rear upper and lower bolts lined up without issue. Any ideas? I can't believe OEM parts being that far out of spec from each other. I did get it fully installed and close enough as far as adjustment for my satisfaction but it makes me wonder if there is another issue somewhere I don't know about. For example finding out the bottom rear corners of the body completely rotted out was a surprise when I replaced the rear bumper metal. Should I be concerned or just run with it if I can make it work?

Quick Reply: Body work causing issues