1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

The 45 RFE mystery

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 02:01 AM
4.7 Jonesin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 45 RFE mystery

Okay So I have posted here a two or 3 weeks ago on my 2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 SLT four wheel drive 190,000 miles so the transmission completely fails no engagement of any kind after pulling away from the stoplight and coming from second to third gear engine dies didn't want to restart when I put it in neutral costume custard into the parking lot it started right up but no gear engagement of any kind. I'm not buying transmission failure because it wasn't slipping or no problems with it whatsoever it just boom went out has anybody had any similar instances of this happening to them
Also if I disconnect the electrical connector at the transmission driver side would that make it able to shift manually without the electronics on the 45 rfe?

Old 08-19-2021, 12:08 AM
Hippiezombiecow
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.7 Jonesin
Okay So I have posted here a two or 3 weeks ago on my 2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 SLT four wheel drive 190,000 miles so the transmission completely fails no engagement of any kind after pulling away from the stoplight and coming from second to third gear engine dies didn't want to restart when I put it in neutral costume custard into the parking lot it started right up but no gear engagement of any kind. I'm not buying transmission failure because it wasn't slipping or no problems with it whatsoever it just boom went out has anybody had any similar instances of this happening to them
Also if I disconnect the electrical connector at the transmission driver side would that make it able to shift manually without the electronics on the 45 rfe?
this happened in my monte carlo, I'm not 100% sure, but everything on the monte forums said it was the shift sensors, for the durango It would be the transmission speed sensors, and, a while ago I was having problems in my durango, 4.7 w/ the 45rfe, and it was the input speed sensor, my 4wd lever came undone and smashed it, before it got smashed, my trans ran just fine, and it went back to normal after I replaced it. So, id start there, good luck

Quick Reply: The 45 RFE mystery