1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

to unscrew an anti theft bolt

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 06:36 AM
Fantatouring
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question to unscrew an anti theft bolt

I have an issue with my 1st Gen. I lack the anti theft special bolt and I can't remove any wheel. I tried at the local tyre shops but no solution has been found. Anybody know how to ? Many thanks

Old 12-07-2021, 07:29 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantatouring

I have an issue with my 1st Gen. I lack the anti theft special bolt and I can't remove any wheel. I tried at the local tyre shops but no solution has been found. Anybody know how to ? Many thanks
I'd try hammering on a socket over it, then using an impact on that. These are specialized, using the same concept.
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-07-2021, 09:32 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantatouring

There are special removal sockets that will take this off. The problem is getting one that will fit in the bolt hole. Measure how wide the nut is and how wide the hole is. The removal tools are hammered on and they will grab the end of the nut. I'm rather surprised a tire shop wouldn't have the tools. Where are you located?

I'll try to get a picture of what you need later today. There are different sizes available. Now, if you can't find a tool that will fit in the opening, you'll need a DBH, chisel and lots of patience. (DBH = Darn Big Hammer) Hammer a notch into the end on the nut. The angle the chisel and hammer it around counter clockwise. Keep the other nuts tight. Once you break it loose, grab it with needle nose pliers and spin it out. If you have access to an air chisel, it will go faster. Just hope who ever put the wheel on last didn't really honk the nuts down too tight.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (12-08-2021)
Old 12-07-2021, 09:35 AM
Fantatouring

I'm in Italy my friend. Thanks for the advice, please do send me a pic of that socket. Thanks

Old 01-19-2022, 07:58 AM
Fantatouring
Thumbs up

Problem sorted out - I hammered a socket on it and used a winch to rotate it out. Then I replaced the 4 lugs

The following 2 users liked this post by Fantatouring:
jims (01-23-2022), sporta (01-24-2022)

Quick Reply: to unscrew an anti theft bolt