1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default brakes!!!

I have a small problem. I replaced the front rotors and shoes and yes I did it right but that was about 3ooo miles ago and now Im getting a big pulses again. The rotors and shoes are good but the rotors are warped. Checked the back shoes and they are in great shape. So I thought this is strange. The rear shoes don't extend intell the brakes are on pretty hard. So this is my question, is there some type of adjustment to make the rear brakes extend faster than having to slam on the brakes to extend them?

Old 01-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Wooten72
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: brakes!!!

The proportioning valve may be going out causing the fronts to do all the work, which in return makes the rear brake pads look great... Note...It may not be bad, heated brake fluid turns into almost gel and it just may need flushed to make it stop sticking.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I will have the brake fluid replaced in all the lines anyway just to make sure.

Last edited by hydrashocker; 01-23-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:53 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

I tried everything and finally found the most stupidest thing. The rear automatic adjusters were bad causing the front to do all the work. The rear shoes where not adjusting out to cover the wear of the shoes. Replaced the auto adjusters and problem solved. The problem is the dowel on the shoe were the adjusters pivot is too big and allows for side to side movement which causes the tooth on the auto adjusters to wear off and not grab the adjustment screw. Looked like a manufactures flaw. Bought the full set from NAPA for $15 bucks a side. Remember to change out the dowel. You will see the difference in the openings.

You have to grind the back of the dowel off and drill the hole a small bit bigger and hammer the new dowel in. Make sure you look at the touching surface between the adjusters and the adjusting screw very carefully. The adjuster is not supposed to come out towards you that far. The new ones pivot perfectly.

Quick Reply: brakes!!!