1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tranny Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 02:59 AM
dingogirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Issues

Hi, I'm a newbie so bear with me. I have a 2000 Durango 4.7L. Bought the truck used with 65k miles and I'm now at 120K....about 1 month ago had the tranny fluid changed along with a new filter. Ever since then my transmission has gone downhill. In the beginning it would hesitate when cold but after 30 minutes or so of driving it was fine. Now even after it warms up it continues to slip. Also it's constantly at 3000rpm or higher no matter how fast I'm driving. Then just recently I drove it 3 blocks, parked it for 5 minutes, when I tried to drive again it wouldn't go in gear....... So I've let it sit in the driveway for a week now (missing it like crazy).
Went out to start it tonight, let it run for a while thought I'd try to put it in gear just for the heck of it and now it drives perfectly fine!?!?!? I don't get it.......any ideas?? Help!!!!

Thanks

Old 01-15-2006, 12:39 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Tranny Issues

Maybe the shop put in the wrong filter. There are more than one filter. The previous owner might of had a deep trans pan put on and with those you need a deeper filter. Take it back or pull it out and check the install. Also you have to put the right fluid back in which should be ATF+III only. Yours could be ATF+IIII so check your owners manual. Do not put anything else in it!!!!! If they put the wrong fluid in it needs to be power flushed or 3 full changes to get even a small bit of the wrong fluid out. Don't tell the shop you've been driving it all over the place with it acting funny. They are liable.

Also Welcome to the site.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:14 PM
dingogirl

Thanks alot for the info, I'll have it checked out!

dingogirl

p.s. I checked out the forum quite a bit last night and there's some great stuff and info in here!!

Old 01-15-2006, 06:56 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Do a search it might help.

Old 01-28-2006, 11:32 PM
fla360durango

hey guys new here i have a 2000 an i just put a new pump in like 2 weeks ago an i was drivein it an now its slipin drives good soon as it kicked sec gear it redlines i let off an it gos in to gear but i have to let off al lthe time sometimes it wil lnot kick in dam pump was 300 bucks i put a new speedcontrl in still doin it now i am pissed an car less wish my hotrod was street drivein so hope u guys can help me out[X(]

Old 01-29-2006, 04:41 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got rid of my slipping by replacing both the tranny sensor and rear axle sensor.

Quick Reply: Tranny Issues