1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'03 Durango - Crazy Door Locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:15 AM
tmatta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Durango - Crazy Door Locks

RE: TSB 08-023-03

I am suffering what many have - the intermittent door locking/unlocking syndrome on my '03 Durango SLT, as described below:

"Symptoms - The door locks will intermittently lock and/or unlock without any activation of the power door lock switch or a clicking sound may be heard coming from the power door locks (repeated locking or repeated unlocking). The condition may occur more frequently in damp conditions such as driving the vehicle in the rain or taking the vehicle through a car wash."

"Diagnosis - Vehicles that demonstrate this condition may have water weeping into the door/liftgate lock cylinder switches causing the switch to intermittently short across the internal circuit. This in turn may signal the Central Timer Module (CTM) to activate the power door locks. Because of the nature of this problem, it is extremely difficult to diagnose this condition. Therefore, customers that indicate their doors intermittently lock and unlock without having the door lock switch activated or customers that indicate they hear a repeated clicking noise coming from the door locks should have the Repair Procedure performed on their vehicle."

-----

1. Are TSB issues like this covered by your own warranty, or are they more like recall issues (the dealers are required to fix)?

2. Assuming the owner (me) had to pay for everything, how much are these parts? I have searced the web high and low for prices with no luck...

Parts list:

AR (1) 56049278AA Switch, Door--Lock Cylinder, Passenger Side, Durango
AR (1) 56049279AA Switch, Door Lock Cylinder, Driver Side, Durango
AR (1) 56049280AA Switch, Liftgate Lock Cylinder, Durango

Old 03-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Chump
Captain
Default RE: '03 Durango - Crazy Door Locks

POLICY:Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty
This means you'll have to talk the the dealer and see if they will cover it.

Service Bulletins are not recalls. The dealer is not forced to fix it for free if it is a TSB.
Here's the prices from www.makeitmopar.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/21718/CB800AEA3B844D049E18442403126373.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2006, 02:50 AM
tmatta

Thanks for the info - and the prices! Those prices are very reasonable. Perhaps I'll ask my mechanic what the labor will run me, and save me a trip out to the 'burbs for my dealer!

Thanks again!

Old 03-07-2006, 06:23 PM
tmatta

My dealer replaced two (front) door lock switches today - and my warranty covered the expense completely.

So far, so good!

Even after the car wash!

Quick Reply: '03 Durango - Crazy Door Locks