1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 2WD Durango rattle noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 05:33 PM
ranger95guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 2WD Durango rattle noise

I am going crazy trying to find a rattling sound in the front end of my durango. The steering seems to move freely. The suspension is a little bumpy, despite new shocks. The noise sounds like a rattle and only occurs after driving for a few moments, never when starting after it sat for a while. I can only hear it when I'm not in motion. Once driving, I can't tell if the noise stops or the engine just drowns it out. When it starts, it seems that I can make it stop temporarily by moving the steering wheel back and forth a few times and end with the wheels straight foward, but after a few moments, the noise comes back. I just did a tune up and the engine is fine. The tranny shifts perfectly. I'm losing my mind. PLEASE HELP!

Old 04-04-2006, 02:39 AM
ranger95guy
Default RE: 99 2WD Durango rattle noise

HEY HEY HEY! I found it! After spending 3 hours of digging while the truck never made the noise, it started that damn rattling sound again and I found it! The heat shield around the right header was vibrating against the header. It wasn't loose or bent or damaged, but I just bent it back with a screw driver and it hasn't made that sound since. If you have a durango or dakota with a rattling sound in the front, check the headers. You just might be as lucky as me.

Old 04-09-2006, 06:04 AM
titan2087
Veteran

Haha im sorry i hadent read this post earlyer or i could have solved you 3 hours of hell. My friends durango had the same problem it was the right header heat sheild as well and we fixed it the same way as you. Except it ratteld when it was stopped 2 just not as bad.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: ranger95guy

HEY HEY HEY! I found it! After spending 3 hours of digging while the truck never made the noise, it started that damn rattling sound again and I found it! The heat shield around the right header was vibrating against the header. It wasn't loose or bent or damaged, but I just bent it back with a screw driver and it hasn't made that sound since. If you have a durango or dakota with a rattling sound in the front, check the headers. You just might be as lucky as me.
Nice find. Sometimes small things you find like that can just drive ya nut's.

Quick Reply: 99 2WD Durango rattle noise