1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

No front A/C. 02 with rear air.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:17 PM
TCKTME
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No front A/C. 02 with rear air.

Hello all. Long time browser, first time poster.

I know the A/c system works. The rear air is ice cold. The front temp controls work fine. In the engine bay, at the "T" at the firewall, the one going thru the firewall does not get cold. So I figure the problem is in the passanger comp.

I decided to remove a few covers and try to find the problem. I removed a white circle conector to look inside at what I shall call a "heat exchanger". When I unplug the connector, the A/C clutch disengages. When I plug it back in, it engages. That sensor works fine (wherever it goes). I reached inside that hole (where the white circle thingy is) and could feel the "exchanger". It is not cold. I moved the temp controls to hot and it doesn't get hot. Therefore, I assume that the "exchanger" is for the A/C. Is this unit not working properly? Is it clogged somewhere? Maybe at the firewall in the engine bay?

Any help is greatful, as money is tight right now.

Jason

Old 04-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Digitoxin
Professional
Default RE: No front A/C. 02 with rear air.

After reading this same complaint now for a while, by the description, I would have the expansion valve(orfice) checked. On GM A/C there is a screen as part of the orfice, and can clogg up. The front and rear A/C have there own orfice.
You have to discharge the A/C system to remove the expansion valve(orfice). Hope this helps...

Old 04-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Digitoxin
Professional

OK, I was looking at my 03 Durango. ( I do not have rear A/C though.) The expansion valve is at the in engine area, firewall, on the passenger side, where the Low, and High A/C lines (big & small pipes) go into a block. That block has the expansion valve in it. It looks like its a thremal expansion valve( expansion controlled by R134 temp in system) If it is not working correct, the system can be charged completely , yet not work.
I would look into seeing if the Dealer has a Recall, or any Bulletins about this issue. I have not had any problems yet, so I have not looked into the A/C system much on my 03 Durango.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

Old 04-23-2006, 06:42 PM
TCKTME

ORIGINAL: Digitoxin

After reading this same complaint now for a while, by the description, I would have the expansion valve(orfice) checked. On GM A/C there is a screen as part of the orfice, and can clogg up. The front and rear A/C have there own orfice.
You have to discharge the A/C system to remove the expansion valve(orfice). Hope this helps...
That's exactly what I wanted to know. I told myself that this junction area (mine has a big line that's T'd before the block and a small line going into the block). I even tried "tapping" on it to see if it would help. I just needed to know why it's not working. I guess it's not something I can do. Off to a A/C place. Thanks for the info.

Jason

Quick Reply: No front A/C. 02 with rear air.