1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HELP! Can't get Durango into "Park"

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 02:52 AM
prossech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Can't get Durango into "Park"

I have a 2000 5.9 L 2WD Durando w/ AT. A week ago I replaced the governor solenoid and pressure sensor because I got a check engine light and trans pressure out of range code. Also the car was always in 3rd gear unless I floored it to kick it down. Seemed to work fine for a week but tonight I cannot get the shifter into Park. I have to start it in N and to get the key out I have to pull the ****er hard towards park and twist the key and pull it out with my other hand. It is not in Parks and I have to set the parking brake to keep it from rolling away? Has anyone experienced this and what did you do?

Thanks in advance
Chuck

Old 05-28-2006, 03:25 AM
dirtycook23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Can't get Durango into "Park"

i had the same problem in my tranny. it turned out that the power bands for 1st and 2nd had slipped off of their spots in the tranny. and the park lock in the tranny had snapped and been bouncing arround in three for a week. it turns out that that was what had caused it. i couldn't get it into park either. $3200 later it was fixed. i am no tranny expert but the problem seems similar if not the same. good luck.

Quick Reply: HELP! Can't get Durango into "Park"