1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

popping in steering wheel everytime i move it

Old 05-19-2006, 02:41 AM
ownage9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping in steering wheel everytime i move it

every time i move my wheel over an inch on the durango i hear a popping. anyone have an idea what it is? i thought it was the ball joints, but a friend says since even when the wheel doesnt move alot you can hear it that its probably not the ball joints. anyone know?

Old 05-20-2006, 06:15 AM
28this
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: popping in steering wheel everytime i move it

Check your axle shafts. Sounds like you got a bad one.

Old 05-22-2006, 05:07 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try to have your steering box adjusted. I had the same problem. $30.00
The gears inside the box were smacking and I had some play in the wheel.
Also it could be a steering column.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:25 AM
yakkier
Banned

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

Try to have your steering box adjusted. I had the same problem. $30.00
The gears inside the box were smacking and I had some play in the wheel.
Also it could be a steering column.

You just solved a problem for me, thanks. I didnt think about the steering box, mine does the same thing when you turn to the left, for some stupid reason, i thought it was a ball joint also along with the axle, neither would fix the problem. Thanks man!

Old 06-22-2006, 02:16 PM
ownage9

I've been told I need to replace my upper and lower intermediate shafts. Can anyone tell me if that sounds right? Also, would those shafts cause me to have 1-2 inches of slack no matter where the wheel is, even when the cars not off? Slack meaning the tires don't turn when I go left to right, right to left, until the wheel has moved an inch or two, and i hear the popping noise.

Thanks. I just want to know if this should solve my problem.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:49 PM
GhostRider3387
Rookie

I have the same problem with the steering in my Durango. I was told the same thing that the steering shaft would need to be replaced.
The guy explained to me that the bushings that connect the shaft together were worn out causing the play in the steering.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:26 PM
PARTTIMER

ORIGINAL: GhostRider3387

I have the same problem with the steering in my Durango. I was told the same thing that the steering shaft would need to be replaced.
The guy explained to me that the bushings that connect the shaft together were worn out causing the play in the steering.
Did you resolve this issue? I might have to have the same thing done to mine and was wondering if you did this yourself or payed the dealer? How much? thx

Old 07-17-2006, 06:02 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ownage9

every time i move my wheel over an inch on the durango i hear a popping. anyone have an idea what it is? i thought it was the ball joints, but a friend says since even when the wheel doesnt move alot you can hear it that its probably not the ball joints. anyone know?
Lower and Intermediate steering column shafts. Have those checked. Tell tale sign = popping sound while turning at low speeds (like backing out of a parking space).

IndyDurango

Old 07-17-2006, 08:40 PM
JasonGS

Here is another possible solution I read about:

Popping Sensation/Noise In Steering Column While Turning

NUMBER: 19-05-99
GROUP: Steering
DATE: Jul. 23, 1999

SUBJECT:
Popping Sensation/Noise In Steering Column While Turning

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves repositioning the steering column on steering column mounting brackets.

MODELS:
1997 - 2000 (AN) Dakota
1998 - 2000 (DN) Durango

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A popping noise and/or sensation can be felt and/or heard in the steering column during sharp turns (parking lot maneuvers).

DIAGNOSIS:
Start the engine. Rotate the steering wheel to the extreme right and then to the extreme left while monitoring for a popping noise or sensation. If a popping noise or sensation can be heard and/or felt in the steering column while turning, perform the Repair Procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
[ul][*] Start the engine.[*] Rotate the steering wheel so that the steering wheel is in an upside down position then remove the ignition key to lock the steering wheel in this position.[*] Remove the three screws that secure the lower edge of the steering column opening cover to the lower instrument panel reinforcement.[*] Using a trim stick or another suitable wide-bladed tool, gently pry the upper edge of the steering column opening cover. Pry just below the cluster bezel on each side of the steering column away from the instrument panel far enough to disengage the snap clip retainers from the receptacles in the instrument panel.[*] Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.[*] Loosen the steering column attaching nuts.[*] Bounce the steering wheel lightly in a vertical motion to normalize the alignment.[*] Without influencing the new location of the steering column, tighten the passenger side rearward nut to 12 N.m (105 in. lbs.).[*] Next, tighten the front driver side nut to 12 N.m (105 in. lbs.).[*] Tighten the remaining steering column attaching nuts to 12 N.m (105 in. lbs.).[*] Tighten the upper intermediate shaft attachment bolt to 57 N.m (42 ft. lbs.).[*] Position the steering column opening cover to the instrument panel.[*] Align the snap clip retainers on the steering column opening cover with the receptacles in the instrument panel.[*] Press firmly on the steering column opening cover over the snap clip locations until each of the snap clips is fully engaged in its receptacle.[*] Install and tighten the three screws that secure the lower edge of the steering column opening cover to the lower instrument panel reinforcement. Tighten the screws to 2.2 N.m (20 in. lbs.).[*] Start the engine then, rotate the steering wheel back to its normal position.
[/ul]

Old 07-18-2006, 03:37 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had forgotton about that solution too. I had that TSB preformed on my D and it didn't help. The dealer wasn't happy that I knew more about the problem than they did when I provided them with the TSB. All in all, I can not confirm that they even performed the service. All I know is that it didn't make a difference when I left.

My problem started when the dealer took out my dash to fix a rattle on the passengers side. The tweaked the shafts and then wouldn't fix it on them. They wanted me to pay for their problem they created since there 'had to be wear already since I have high miles on the Durango." I didn't pay to fix it and still have the poping sound and will not be going back to that dealer. With the last 4 vehicles I bought there (Shadow, Cirrus, Neon and Durango), I figure they are out $100K+ for thier attitude and failure moving forward over the years. Maybe they should have sprung for the $300 repair bill eh? How else can we combat shoddy service repairs and attitudes at the dealerships if not to buy elsewhere?

IndyDurango

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: popping in steering wheel everytime i move it