1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Clicking from transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 11:21 AM
MartyZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking from transfer Case

Hello all, I am new to this forum but not new to my Duragngo. I have a 2001 Durango with 140,000 miles on it. I bought this truck new so all the miles are mine. About 2 months ago I started heering a clicking sound from what seemed to be the front and I automatically thought that it was the brakes because the discs are grooved. Anyway last week I had my right front axle changed because of a ripped boot.

While testing after the repares I was shifting from 2 to 4 wheel drive going straight on dry pacement approx. 40mph, and while switching the clicking got louder and more frequent, turned into a ratcheting sound. After some more testing here is my conclusion.

Serious ratcheting noise when shifting on the fly, no noise when shifting in N. Is the Transfer Case dead?

I have an appointment at aamco on Tuesday. Need as much advise as possible before I bring it in to avoid getting ripped off.

Thanks;

Old 05-26-2006, 02:46 AM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clicking from transfer Case

will two things, usually u dont want to be going faster than 5 - 10 mph while shifting from 2 to 4, cause it will cause damage to your Joint's T-bars so on an so forth, as far as it making noise check your fluid level, which all u do is take your filler hose which is hanging from your passenger side wheelwell right infront of your aircleaner, take the plug out of it, let it hang below the transfer case so the fluid can flow freely, that's all u gotta do, Also does your Transtemp or fulltime 4wheel come on during this ?

Quick Reply: Clicking from transfer Case