1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ???

Well I went to flush my radiator and add more fluid today but I can't find the petcock to drain the radiator. Is it behind the overflow tank? My chiltons did not have anything regarding the loctaion of it just basic info on how to drain, flush, and fill the cooling system. I have the 2000 5.9L SLT model. Also I didn't bother to look for the engine's drain plug so please tell me where that is as well. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:23 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ???

unhook the bottom hose that runs to the waterpump an drain it from there, for some reason they thought it'd be a good idea not to have one, my jeep didnt have one either, also which engine plug r u talking about, oil plug ? if so thats on the bottom/back of the oilpan, if you're talking about coolant then engines dont have them all they have is freezeplugs an you dont remove them

Old 06-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Ok thanks for the info on that. I was about to take off the lower hose but it looks like it is in the middle of the radiator so I wanted to get the petcock because it would be lower. Stupid Chiltons is made for the Ram, Dakota, and Durango so it is very generalized as far as locations go. It was telling me to open the petcock let it drain and then to open the engine drain plug to let that drain as well. Lower radiator hose is coming off tomorrow morning.

Old 06-29-2006, 05:54 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is located directly under the antifreeze reservoir near the corner. You may have to remove some of the plasic air shrouds to get to it. Took me quite a while to locate it but it is there. But as Yakkier stated, much easier and faster to just pop open the lower radiator hose.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Mean Green
Champion

HAHAHAHA, That's good stuff right there. I had to get some spark plugs for my truck so I went to the stealership and I asked about it just to double check and they told me there wasn't one. What a joke .

Old 06-29-2006, 08:38 PM
yakkier
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

goddamn hes right there is one, i'v taken this radiator outbefore an still didnt see it lmao

Old 06-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Mean Green
Champion

It's just ridiculous that they'd bury the damn thing like that. Passenger' side or driver's side BTW?