1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:39 PM
BoSox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Compressor

I've got a 2000 Durango and the AC compress seized up and snapped the belt....Anyone know how to change these are they hard. Is there an online manual I can use. I tried to buy a chiltons book but nobody carries them in Eastern CT.
Thanks for the help

Old 06-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AC Compressor

I'll check my chiltons but I imagine it's just a matter of following the diagram in front of the overflow tank and pulling the tensioner back far enough to allow the belt on. As far as the ac goes it should be easy just drain the freon, unhook it (there's nothing that should be in the way), and bolt on the other then fill er' up. You may need ac line pulling tools but like I said I'll look in my chiltons and let you know.
*EDIT* BTW what size engine?

Old 07-01-2006, 12:46 AM
BoSox

Thanks for the help, I got the belt and new compressor on and I've filled it with R134a....(Freon) of course I have another issue. The ac is blown normal air..not hot.....not AC. I've started my F250 and ran the ac and noticed that the clutch is always spinning. On my dodge the clutch inside the pulley turns on and the PSI guage for the Freon goes to 40 (Good) then shuts down and the PSI goes to 0...any ideas

Old 02-27-2007, 11:48 PM
89turbomini

did you suck it down frist/ if it locked up you should always change the dryer, did you add oil to system when refilling system there are a lot of thing that will make that happen. some time you have to put the cans in hot water to get the r134 to flow in to system. alan

Old 02-28-2007, 04:41 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the middle of changing my A/C clutch right now, and its pretty easy

Old 02-28-2007, 03:32 PM
HeavyD
Professional

When changing the A/C, (4 bolts hold it on I think) you must suckdown the system with a vaccum pump first before adding freon.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:01 AM
89turbomini

toping it off is eazy but once you open the system you should alway suck it down one to check to see if it hold a vac. and to remove any water in the system. by sucking it down to 28 inchs it boils water and removes it . plus you need the right mix of oil and r134 to get the best or lowest temp. at the vent. alan

Quick Reply: AC Compressor