1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

running hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:40 PM
CaptKidd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running hot

I was coming home from a trip to Canada towing a 2500# tent trailer with 3 kayaks on the roof. Temperature in Ashland, Oregon was 104. Long steep climb to the top. All of a sudden a red light came on the dash saying "check gauges" and sure enough the temp was hot. I turned the AC off and kept going up the hill, light went off and on several times. Got to the top and started down hill temp came right back down to normal. The only thing was that it wouldn't shift into overdrive for 7 or 8 miles. I assume there must be a temp sensor for the tranny fluid? Once it cooled off? all worked fine. Anyone else have this happen to them?

Old 08-02-2006, 12:20 AM
1 bad durango
Professional
Default RE: running hot

yes your right about the trans if i am just doin normal driving on a 98 degree day in stop and go traffic my trans will hit 180-200 so im sure yours was around 220-235,,,,you might wanna get a bigger trans cooler and the key is bypass the radiator

Old 08-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

With possible 3 digit scorching temperaturs all over the US, we all need to keep our rigs as cool as possible. My D is now running hotter than normal and it is just random. But I guess it is because of our consistent 102-105 degree temps here in Texas! Stop and go traffic is murder on my engine in this kind of crazy heat. i am hovering past the 210 mark so I am guessing 220-230 degrees while stuck in stop and go traffic with A/C running. I wonder if the auxillary fan engages on its own without the use of the A/C if the temperature gets a little hot? If so, what is the temp setting? I would like to set it much lower, say engage at 210? I never had my temperature skyrocket this high since I owned my Durango. But then again, we never had this kind of heatwave either. Pump's running fine, thermostat controlled clutch is running fine, had a flush 2 months ago so that is fine. I just hope my radiator is not going out.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I beleve a Hypertech Power Programer III can set your fan to come on early and a much lower temp. I think it is opperated by the PCM. Email Hypertech and ask them.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:30 AM
1 bad durango
Professional

i had a hypertech but it would not let me adjust the fan ???????????? but the electric fan will come on at 215 with or without the a/c

Old 08-03-2006, 12:33 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1 bad durango

i had a hypertech but it would not let me adjust the fan ???????????? but the electric fan will come on at 215 with or without the a/c
I will have to test to confirm that. Could have sworn that the electric fan never came on when my temp went past the 210 mark without A/C.

Quick Reply: running hot