1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Radiator Flush on 2000 Du

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 05:52 PM
bmanosu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Flush on 2000 Du

I have a 2000 Durango. I wanted to flush the cooling system and was hoping to do it myself. I have the supplies, but can't find/get to the drain plug on the radiator. The instruction in the Chilton manual I havearen't worth the papertheir printed on. If anyone has any help or advice, I'd appreciate it. I was hoping to save money and pride by doing it myself, but if I have to buy the Dodge service manual it's gonna cost way more than taking it into the shop.</P>

Thanks!</P>

Old 12-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Truckxpressions
Veteran

on most radiators there is a little plug at the bottom , off to one side, that you can unscrew. If you cant find it you can always pull the lower radiator hose.

Old 12-05-2003, 05:04 PM
tjtrujillo

I am in the process of a waterpump change on my 98 and its on the right hand side (as you look into the engine compartment.) Its PLASTIC and probably stuck!! I could not budge it by hand. I had to use a visegrip and gently work it loose. Then, I could not get it out. I finally worked it out. Also, at least as diagramed in my factory service manual, the petcock is a two piece design. The one that came out of my radiator (I am the original owner so I know its the original one) is a one piece unit that looks nothing like the one in the book. IF you have the two peice, the book says you need to unscrew the petcock and remove it. Then, with needle nose pliers, reach into the hole and pull out the second part which is more like a clip. To reinstally it, wrap the clip over the shaft of the petcock and shove it in. Then once in, screw the petcock closed.

One more thing, to get to it from above I had to remove the battery and battery tray!!!!!!

Good Luck.<edited><editID>tjtrujillo</editID><editDate>37960.5878587963</editDate></edited>

Old 12-31-2003, 01:26 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got to the drain plug but had to remove some of the plastic coverings from underneath to expose the drain plug area.

Old 12-31-2003, 10:23 AM
bmanosu

Thanks, I did remove the one plastic covering held in place with plastic snaps but didn't see anything. I will check under the battery - thanks for the suggestion, but it was almost looking like we needed to remove the shroud around the fan. Didn't want to mess with that myself - my garadge is a bit limmited.</P>

Old 12-31-2003, 12:45 PM
tjtrujillo

The fan shroud is only four small bolts. Two at the top on each side
and two about 1/2 down on each side. Take the bolts off and slip
the fan shroud over the fan while you drain your radiator. Piece of
cake.

Tom<edited><editID>tjtrujillo</editID><editDate>37986.4073958333</editDate></edited>

Quick Reply: Radiator Flush on 2000 Du