Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Coolant leak - HELP needed please

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Joey_Samone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Coolant leak - HELP needed please

famfedyk, All I know is there are 10 freeze plugs on the motor on my Durango. The dealer had to drop the transmission to get to many of them.

Old 09-13-2006, 04:14 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over 6 years and thousands of Durango related posts... never heard of a freeze plug 'problem'. Also, they don't just wear out. Doesn't sound right to me unless that engine has been VERY hot for a LONG time for some reason.

Also, no D's were ever made in Mexico. All Durangos are made in Delaware, they always have been. In Mexico there was a 2-door Durango/Ram mix called the Ram-Charger. That could be how you were mistaken there. The front half looks a lot like a D to the un-trained eye. The first time I saw them, I thought they were the new version of the Durango and was shocked. I was soon set straight by the posters on the forums.

Here is a link to many photos of the Mexican Dodge Ram Charger: http://www.durangoclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25645

HTH

IndyDurango

Old 09-13-2006, 03:24 PM
sureshotsniper

I have found a mechanic that would do the work for $450 to replace the freeze plugs. But, has anyone tried that "stop leak" stuff found at walmart? The stuff "claims" to stop freeze plug leaks (among other leaks in the coolant system).

Old 09-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that stuff will work to stop leaks I would use alumaseal but you have to be careful with it and it is not a permanent fix by any means. DO NOT use too much I would say if one tube of alumaseal doesn't fix it then get it taken care of the right way, if you use much more than that there is a good chance you could plug up parts of your system you don't want plugged.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:34 PM
famfedyk
Amateur

Following up on this issue. I threw in a bottle of the BarsLeak (the one that has the little pellets in it) and now I no longer have a leak. I'm typically not a big fan of this "black magic" type of fix, but for now, it seems to be working. As I said earlier, my guess was that the leak was coming from somewhere on the rear of the passengers side head, but I couldn't really pinpoint the exact location - too diffiocult to see back there. We'll see how long this "fix" works....

Old 09-22-2006, 02:55 PM
JasonGS

FWIW, I bought a brand new radiator for my Regal about 2-3 years ago, and it had a small hairline crack in one of the tanks. I just dumped a bottle of Bars Leaks in there, and it has been fixed ever since. No overheating issues either.

Old 09-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you monitor your temp guage because in time, these stop leak products will eventually permanently plug up your radiator core and heater core. As Mean Green stated, this is just a temporary fix and it should never be a permanent solution. The cooling system was never design to have comtaminants much less solid objects floating within the system.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Yep Yep and until the fix make sure you flush the system at regular intervals or you can be assured of a blockage.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:57 PM
supercharger

For anyone dealing with a freeze plug leak, I just fixed my Durango so here's some advice. I have a 1999 5.2L V8 4WD

My Durango has been leaking coolant slowly for years from somewhere I couldn't find. I just kept filling it up every few weeks for a long, long time. I finally got ahold of a pressure tester and when I pumped it up, coolant came out of the water pump weep hole.

I replaced the water pump last weekend, poured in the new coolant, and when I started it up there was still a leak. I crawled under the car and finally traced it to a freeze plug that had rusted out. If you look inside the wheel well above the front right tire, you can clearly see 2 of the freeze plugs on the block. It was the the rear of these two that rusted out on me. The other one looks fine. I think this freeze plug leaking is the reason the water pump shaft seal went bad because the water pump was only about 25,000 miles old.

I scraped out the rusted part, pulled and twisted on it with pliers, and finally hammered a tent stake (for lack of a better tool with reach) into the plug until it rotated and I could pull it out by hand. I then scraped tons of black sludge crap out of the hole with my finger.

Although this plug is visible, and accessible I didn't know how I would hammer in a new plug until I found out about the rubber ones. I bought one for about $3 from Kragen. You pop it into the hole until a metal disk on one end butts up against the block and then tighten a nut on the outside of the plug. This expands the rubber and makes it seal. It took me all of 5 minutes and turning a socket wrench next to the block was far easier than trying to get a hammer in there and put the plug in even.

If you have a rusted freeze plug behind your transmition, you might be screwed, but if you can get see the plug that's bad, I would recommend fixing it yourself and not paying several hundred dollars for some mechanic to pull your block or rip you off.

I flushed my coolant system for a while using a prestone flushing kit that lets you attach a hose to the heater inlet hose. I did this because I didn't want to remove the thermostat. If you take your thermostat housing off, it looks like a pain to replace because scraping off the old gasket would be almost impossible without removing the alternator.

It is now holding coolant and there are no leaks anywhere.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:14 AM
ccusum

ORIGINAL: supercharger

For anyone dealing with a freeze plug leak, I just fixed my Durango so here's some advice. I have a 1999 5.2L V8 4WD

My Durango has been leaking coolant slowly for years from somewhere I couldn't find. I just kept filling it up every few weeks for a long, long time. I finally got ahold of a pressure tester and when I pumped it up, coolant came out of the water pump weep hole.

I replaced the water pump last weekend, poured in the new coolant, and when I started it up there was still a leak. I crawled under the car and finally traced it to a freeze plug that had rusted out. If you look inside the wheel well above the front right tire, you can clearly see 2 of the freeze plugs on the block. It was the the rear of these two that rusted out on me. The other one looks fine. I think this freeze plug leaking is the reason the water pump shaft seal went bad because the water pump was only about 25,000 miles old.

I scraped out the rusted part, pulled and twisted on it with pliers, and finally hammered a tent stake (for lack of a better tool with reach) into the plug until it rotated and I could pull it out by hand. I then scraped tons of black sludge crap out of the hole with my finger.

Although this plug is visible, and accessible I didn't know how I would hammer in a new plug until I found out about the rubber ones. I bought one for about $3 from Kragen. You pop it into the hole until a metal disk on one end butts up against the block and then tighten a nut on the outside of the plug. This expands the rubber and makes it seal. It took me all of 5 minutes and turning a socket wrench next to the block was far easier than trying to get a hammer in there and put the plug in even.

If you have a rusted freeze plug behind your transmition, you might be screwed, but if you can get see the plug that's bad, I would recommend fixing it yourself and not paying several hundred dollars for some mechanic to pull your block or rip you off.

I flushed my coolant system for a while using a prestone flushing kit that lets you attach a hose to the heater inlet hose. I did this because I didn't want to remove the thermostat. If you take your thermostat housing off, it looks like a pain to replace because scraping off the old gasket would be almost impossible without removing the alternator.

It is now holding coolant and there are no leaks anywhere.
I think I am having the same problem. Today I get up and get in the truck, get it to operating temp, turn the heat on and nothing but cold air, and the temp guage climbs to around 250 pretty quick. then drops a couple of minuts later to around 180. and I finally hve heat in the car. Temp is holding steady. Pull into a gas station to get gas, shut the car off. Come back in and the same thing. but this time, I still have heat. Temp climbs and then drops.

Any idea if its the freeze plugs that people seem to have a problem with or could it be something else?

Quick Reply: Coolant leak - HELP needed please