1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

p0720

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:57 AM
DarkTru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0720

I went to Advance Auto Parts and did the scan. I got the P0720 code. It was a Ourput Speed Sensor. I'm guessing I need to replace this part? Because when I drive the Durango right now, it seems like it over revs before switching gears usually. Just wondering if this is an easy thing to replace? I'm guessing I would be able to get the parts at the store and stuff?

Old 08-10-2006, 01:24 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: p0720

Not too easy from what I know but I don't touch anything in the tranny. I got that code after my tranny was rebuilt so the guys at AAMCO got to take care of it under their warranty. It is in/attached to the tranny though.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:29 AM
DarkTru

I see. :/ Uhh.. Our is a '98, so probably no warranty anymore. But does the description sound right for the problem then? I'll see what we're gonna have to do with it.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:34 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Sounds exactly like mine I think there are a few hours involved and you dan't want just anyone touching your tranny it's just too complicated. After my tranny was rebuilt (aamco did a great job with mechanical components) every damn sensor went out in it one by one, I think I had that speed sensor replaced 3 or 4 times in a couple months. The funny thing is the only place they could get those sensors was from Dodge so they weren't cheapo knock-offs or anything.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:11 AM
DarkTru

So a professional mechanic would be most reliable here? Also, did you have to leave it in the shop for long? Thinking that they could probably order it, then just bring it when they have it.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:16 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah I would definitely take it to a mechanic unless you are very competent with that stuff. I'm ok at doing my own work it takes me a while but I wouldn't touch that tranny with a 10 foot pole. Just check out the dealership and buy it directly that way it will cost you less than if the shop buys it they will usually try to turn a profit on the parts as well as the labor. The labor should only be a few hours ask the stealership how long it should take then take it to a reputable tranny place and that will save you a few bucks. If I would've gone where my warranty company wanted me to go when I had my tranny rebuilt it would've cost me a lot more within a few months just in replacing all those damned sensors it ate like 12 of them and needed a new portion of the wiring harness added in. I think AAMCO lost money on me . Just make sure whoever does the work will guarantee it for at least 12 mo. 12k miles if that's possible. Good luck with this let us know what's going on.

Quick Reply: p0720