1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need some tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006 | 01:52 AM
TazKing
Default Need some tire advice

First, I will say I have read countless posts before I asked the question. I have a 2003 Durango SLT that had the 255/65-16 tires as original option. They are now General Grabber All Season (same size) and basically suck. Although I do not need 4 wheel drive, I do need decent clearance in the dirt as I work in construction and go into a lot of barely graded subdivisions. Mostly I run into soft sand and some muddy areas, nothing Jeep Country.

What I want is to replace the originals with either the stock on/off road size (245/70-16) or something a little taller for better clearance. I can pick the tire with the right bite, but don't know what is the best size to get for just part-time off roading. The LT type interests me for better dirt and towing, but can I go to a 265/75-16 or would this rub? When you enter the Durango in most of the tire shop sites, they give you few choices, none of which are LT. Could use some advise.

Old 08-21-2006 | 02:42 AM
Digitoxin
Professional
Default RE: Need some tire advice

I'm running GoodYear Wrangler AT/S. 265/75/16. There a about a inch gain in hight. From experience, I can say, they do not rub, but the speedometer was 4 mph slower. I caliberated it through the PCM. Hope this helps

Old 08-21-2006 | 07:11 PM
Mean Green
Champion

I would suggest my tires (see sig) I have heard that 32's rub without minor modification. These things are the best tires though. I have areas on the freeway that get really nasty with rain and have to be avoided with my stock tires. Now that I got these I can go straight through it without a problem I hardly hydroplane at all. They also do great at grabbing in the dirt and sand. You really won't find a better tire than these for all around use IMHO. Oh and also there is hardly any road noise that you usually get with AT tires. Mine were $650.00 for 5 at cosco with a 55k mile warranty.

Old 08-21-2006 | 09:06 PM
kjun
Professional

BFG AT KO's have to be by far the most popular all terrain tire out there. Look around. Everybody runs them. From past experience they really are a good all around tire. I have 31x10.50x15 on my 00 Durango with no problems. Perfect height for mild off-roading.

The web sites are limited. Go to a shop and talk to them. Tell them what you want, your price range, etc and they can hook you up.

Old 08-21-2006 | 11:34 PM
Digitoxin
Professional

ORIGINAL: kjun

BFG AT KO's have to be by far the most popular all terrain tire out there. Look around. Everybody runs them. From past experience they really are a good all around tire. I have 31x10.50x15 on my 00 Durango with no problems. Perfect height for mild off-roading.

The web sites are limited. Go to a shop and talk to them. Tell them what you want, your price range, etc and they can hook you up.

I agree with you Kjun. I see almost all 4x4s with those tires. Thats one reason I went with the Goodyear AT/S. For the different look. I like the looks of the goodyears more anyway. They are rated a little higher for snow and mud also. Noise , they are rated lower. They are getting a little noisy as more and more miles get on them. But not to a annoying degree like the BIG tires I see on some 4x4s. They dont howl down the road. The wear is great so far. But keeping them balanced and aired correct makes a hudge difference in the way they wear.

Quick Reply: Need some tire advice