1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:43 PM
deputy9501
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Durango PCM?

From a newbie to this forum, but not new to auto tech.

Help needed!

I drive a 02 Durango for a patrol vehicle. A few months ago it started stuttering when the cruise was on and holding a steady speed. Not long after the power locks quit, wiper delay quit, 4x4 service light came on and 4x4 quit, headlights quit. I found the headlights were on constant. They were very dim no matter if the ignition was on or off, no matter if the headlight switch was on or off.

Took it to Dodge for service. I suspected the PCM or what some have called the Forward Control Module. Dodge mechanics advised the only code showing was a low voltage condition they said was caused by my accessories I run (ie. red lights, 2 police radios, uniden scanner, computer, video camera, RADAR unit, siren control). I told them it has worked fine for 4 years but they said "parts wear out and I am not getting the voltage I used to". I did not believe them, but figured I do have a bad batery cable so possible. I asked them to replace the cable and see what happened. They turned my keys over to me, charged me $54 and sent me on my way.

As soon as I left the garage the problem came back. I returned and complained, they said I needed a dual battery system to run the electronics. I told them my master sqitch was OFF so nothing was running. The mechanic came out and advised that even when my radios are powered off they still draw some voltage? I didn't think it would be enough to cause a low voltage problem, plus they had the battery disconnected for about 15 minutes so the codes would be cleared. By the way the "new" battery cable is a temporary end with a short scabbed together peice of wire running to the distribution box.

After another hour they decided the PCM is bad. It has been on backorder for 4 weeks!

Now my question... does this sound like a good diagnosis? How hard is this to replace? And are these available aftermarket?

I used to be a mechanic but haven't turned wrenches on anything but my 69 Mercury drag car for 20 years.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Old 08-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Durango PCM?

I would say before going with a new pcm you may want to try a heavy duty alternator which will definitely give you more than enough juice and a yellow top. That will take care of all your power needs. I wouldn't trust the stealership one bit they can't even provide you with a "new" battery cable. I would make them do that over again just for the hell of it.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 AM
deputy9501

Thanks for the reply. I think I will follow the advice on the alternater, and this fall I am going to switch my lights on top to LED's. That will help a lot I think.

I should have added in the mechanics defense that the service manager that gave him the work order told him my headlights were dim, failed to tell him they were ALWAYS dim even when turned off!

My local mechanic here checked it first and said it was the PCM, but did not want to hang the part until he was sure so he referred me to Dodge.

I will definately have the battery cable fixed right. If I had a camera handy I would post how they fixed it. Simply amazing they would do work like that!

Forgot to add, the battery was only 3 days old at that time. Replaced before I took it to the dealer.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:35 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Was there any recent electrical work when the headlights became dim and stayed on constantly also? I forgot about that part of your post. You may also have multiple problems but I'm not a big fan of anything electrical. One other thing the way you make it sound is that this stuff is coming straight out of your pocket or is this D your love and you like to keep tabs on everything which is understandable. I LOVE MY D!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:47 AM
deputy9501

That is the problem, it is an empty pocket problem right now. It is a county owned vehicle on a strict line budget! Next year it is up for rotation and will be replaced, and I will buy it as soon as it hits the auction block. I live in this thing 12 to 16 hours a day and love it! I have plans for it when and if it becomes mine.

I drove it off the lot with 4 miles on it, this is the first problem I have had with it and am at around 70,000 miles now. Only thing it has seen a shop for is tires, oil changes, tranny flush and service, 1 new battery, and a new window motor that I burned out last winter when the window was froze shut. The accessories I run were added the day after I got it and have not changed.

My only complaints is they give me highway tires and it is slow at the top end. I just really need to get it back on the road, it has been down for 4 weeks now!

Old 08-23-2006, 01:59 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Remind me to not look into police officer positions where you live. I hope this is the problem cause that pcm is gonna be a lot of money. You may want to get a chilton's and see about doing it yourself if that's the problem I have seen other posts on it that say it needs to be programmed for your truck but other than that I think it just plugs right in pretty easily. There are a few guys on here that can confirm or deny this I'm not 100% on that. I'll be back on tomorrow I'm going home right now.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be a bad cell in your battery. Sometimes the cell can touch another a ground out the system causing a ground out. This will do some weird crap like this to happen. Sounds to me like you need a new bigger alternator and a big bad battery.

P.S. The voltage regulator is inside the alternator so don't worry about that. Only buy new alternators.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Mean Green
Champion

I'm telling ya man go with the yellow top you won't have any problems with that no matter what you run.

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango PCM?