1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

CHANGING FLUIDS

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:11 PM
ONEENVY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHANGING FLUIDS

I was told that i need to change my fluids ( front and rear differential, brakes, transmission, steering, and i think one more, but cant remember what at the exact moment. left the slip in the car). Dodge wanted $650 plus tax to do it all. Is this hard do do on my own and where would i start? if someone could walk me through it that would be great or should i just take it to a shop other than the dealer cause they jack up prices?

Old 08-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: CHANGING FLUIDS

You could have all that change alot cheaper thru a private shop if you know of one that is reputable. My private mechanic only charged me less than $200 to have all fluids changed out. I was also told by the mechanic that the front axle was a pain in the *** to get access to to get the panel off and pour in the fluid. But this is for a 2000 model. Dunno if there are structural changes on newer models.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:54 PM
89Daytona
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CHANGING FLUIDS

The front and rear differential fluid, brake fluid, and transmission fluids are the most important one to change. I got speed bleeders from Advance Auto for my 98, it made bleeding the brakes to change the fluid a lot easier. If you have the extra money you might want to use synthetic oils/ fluids instead of the regular stuff (this should help some with gas mileage). The front diff on the 98 wasn't that hard to get at, but you will probably need new plastic/rubber plugs on the cover (mine broke apart when I pulled it out). The procedures for the diff and trans fluid changes should be in the Haynes/Chilton manual.

Quick Reply: CHANGING FLUIDS