1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

viper motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 08:50 AM
TRIKDITOUT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default viper motor swap

I know that this is a newbie type question but looked all over the site and the net for it. i have seen a couple dakotas and a pt cruiser with a viper motor in it. does anyone know where i could do more research on this? anyone know what i am talking about?

Old 09-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional
Default RE: viper motor swap

very interesting.. I could maybe see the dakotas because they has a larger engine bay but a tp cruiser they have a frame of a neon and to have a viper motor in it seems far fechet to me.. good luck.. FYI do you own a pt or dakota.. I would have a perfomance eng built by mopar and have it made for your make before I swaped it out with a eng that doesn't go in there if you know what I mean,, if you have your 5.9 durango rebuilt and things like hydra and then supercharge it theres no need for a viper motor because you would smoke it in your dodge durango... (every one els please tell me if I am wrong or crazy in this thred)JP

Old 09-13-2006, 11:48 AM
TRIKDITOUT

i have a 5.9 quad cab. you dont belive me about that PT. Hennessey made like twenty and some other company made a pickup style pt. just search pt cruiser viper motor on google

Old 09-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen it on the net. It's modifications to cram a viper motor into a PT cruiser is pretty extensive! Most of the frame has to be completely reworked as you are converting a FWD to a RWD platform. Seen it done on a Dakota too but even that swapout had some extensive modifications as well, they had to rebuilt the entire firewall as the V10 is much longer so the whole drivetrain had to be completely rebuilt.

Both of these mods did not come cheap either.

I can spend less than half of what it cost to modify the 2 above and get a modified wild crazy HP making 5.9 and tranny for my Durango and run better times. Plus it is still a drivable everyday car and everything is still original OEM looking.

I'd prefer a modified cummins 5.9 over the viper motor that Banks turbo did to their test dakota that broke the land speed record of 221+ for a truck and diesel class. Their modified 5.9 cummins generated 700 hp and 1300 lbs of torque. They had a video where they wasted a vette on the streets. This truck is also a drivable daily vehicle and it even pulled its own workshop trailer to the salt flats. MPG was good around 20-22 mpg for such a high performance cummins.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah but you can't say you have a viper srt10 LOL. I would love to have either of them but Kensai's sounds a lot more feasible and I would love to get that kind of mileage with this thing. 12 mpg here [&:].

Old 09-14-2006, 12:30 PM
89Daytona
Veteran

I saw the viper PT in one of the Mopar magazines a couple years ago... I'm pretty sure they did some firewall modifications to get the drivetrain to fit in the car. Your best bet for information would be to find who did the swaps on the Dakotas and contact them to see if they can help you, but you should be serious about this if you do contact them so you aren't wasting their time.

Quick Reply: viper motor swap