1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

how much time??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much time??

Ok all I am looking into buying some new headers for my D. and of course a 52mmtb from the fast man.. I was thinking about doing it all one saturday.. how much time do you think this will take? I here headers can be tricky.. I have done little bit of work my self in auto but nothing by my self that is.. any recomindations or tips for me before I buy as to the time it takes and on the instal,, I have also seen the edelbrock heads I have seen on truck performance for like 350 they look prety sweet and the coments on them are all positive.. but I was wondering about the Ebay nock off there only 178 buck I think and they have this garenty to be "just as good or money back" sort of thing what are your coments on this,, thanks oh yeah..
for all you that read my thred on seat warmer I found an after market kit you can buy for like a 100 bucks that give you two heating pads and every thing you need to hook them up underneth you leather to give you heated seats... Good stuff for all those in cold places that want there heated seats... ESpecaily after snowboarding.... JP

Old 09-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: how much time??

I dread of putting on headers. I had nothing but bad luck with them when I added headers on my Ex toyota truck. I went thru 4 different brands of headers on that truck. After so many miles, the headers start leaking at the worst place possible. Leaks right in the center of where the 4 pipes join into the collector. Next to possible to impossible to fix. I just don't know why it always leak there and that happened to 4 different brands, hooker, edelbrock, etc... After the 4th set gone bad, I re-installed the oem cast iron exhaust manifold and never had to deal with the leak anymore. When I get the exhaust leak, it gets pretty loud!

Afraid this same situation may happen if I add headers to my D but this time I will be out almost twice as much money as I will have a pair of headers to deal with. But what I like to do in the near future is run new exhaust plumbing from the exhaust manifold side. The pipes are too small. I think 2.0-2.25 inches joining up to a 2.5 inch pipe? I like to run 2.5's all the way out (duals) but it won't be easy as the passageways to the back is limited. I only seen GSM makes a prefabricated true dual exhaust setup for the D's. May go to a cheaper deal and just go cat back exhaust. Using 3 inch out from Cat to muffler and then have dual 2.5's going out from muffler.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:23 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

It took the dealer all day to install my headers.

IndyD

Old 09-23-2006, 04:04 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

indy what type of headers did you end up buying I have herd about them leaking and having to go back under and tighting them back up.. do you have that problem.. did you feel much diffrence when you put yours one.. thanks.. JP

Old 09-24-2006, 01:06 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

ORIGINAL: Jpondo5.9

indy what type of headers did you end up buying I have herd about them leaking and having to go back under and tighting them back up.. do you have that problem.. did you feel much diffrence when you put yours one.. thanks.. JP
It is a good idea to retighten any header. A recommend plan is:

After 1 day
After 1 week
After 1 month
After 1 year
Yearly thereafter.

Mine have never leaked (yet... knocking on wood) and I haven't been faithful to the above schedule.

I have the PPH long headers from Mike Leech. They were/are an excellent buy. There was a GB going on over at the Durango Owners Club ( http://www.durangoclub.com ). You may still be able to get a set at the discount for the GB.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 09-24-2006, 02:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Take it to the shop trust me![:@]

Old 10-21-2006, 12:28 AM
Dman98
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased mine during the group buy and installed them myself. It took me 6 hours and then I had to go to an exhaust shop for a little welding.

Quick Reply: how much time??