1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

More Noises

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 04:05 AM
freddyk007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Noises

Hello all, Long time reader, first time poster...

I have read quite a few references of a noise while driving that I have been chasing for a little while. One other comment was like a chain dragging but I am thinking more like a ringing noise. If is definitely drive train related and gets louder the faster you go but is only obvious when the window is down and there is something to deflect the noise back at me. It appears not to be related to the brakes (not positive though) I initally thought it was u-joints so I changed both on the rear driveshaft to no avail. My next option is to put it up in the air on jackstands to try to duplicate it in my garage. I tried just the rear in the air but no luck ( I know it's AWD but it let me do it!)

This is driving me nuts so I could really use some help!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: More Noises

I thionk I know what you're talking about and I've heard it too. I traced it to my front brakes. There is a spring that holds the brakes tight and it can and will fall off of the brakes then the brakes are just wobbling around. That spring has fallen off twice on me. The first time I put it back in the second time I bent the spring a little to give it more tension and it hasn't come off since. Just pull the front tires off and try to move the brakes, if they move at all then that is probably your problem.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:51 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice post Green.[&:]

Also something that happened to me:

After installing my new lower ball joints, my truck was doing that. It drove me nuts.

Found it though. It was the dust cover rubbing on the inside of the rotor. When I did the ball joint I bent the dust cover accidentally so it was touching the rotor. Sounded a lot like what you are explaining. Pull off the tires and take a look inside there. I'm thinking it is coming from the front for sure. I’m sure it is something small and you just can't see it. Take a good look.

Old 09-30-2006, 06:03 AM
freddyk007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out that I pulled the front wheels off to have a look and heard the noise when I turned the drivers side spindle so I started following the noise and discovered that it was the front driveshaft. I grabbed it previously when all 4 where on the ground but it was tight and quiet (my guess under some load) so I pulled it and see that it has a knuckle on one end and that the boot had failed on it and caused this. I am by no means a driveshaft expert but this looks like a pretty crappy design! The shop wanted $360 to replace the knuckle or would make me a whole new driveshaft (with u-joints on each end) from scratch for under 2 bills so that is my route.
Thanks!

Old 09-30-2006, 01:23 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well glad you found your problem and good luck with the replacement.

Quick Reply: More Noises