1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

questions/advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:11 AM
DuckDodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions/advice

Hey all, just joined the forum.

I bought a 2003 Durango 4.7 SLT with 28K on it with all the "stuff" for the wife and kids. Very impressed with the vehicle so far. I do have a few questions for you all.

When driving it sounds like the serpentine belt is squealing when under acceleration? I checked the tensioner and the belt itself is in really good shape, no dry rot or such? This happens whether vehicle is hot or cold.

Brakes are squealing but the rotors look good and the pads have plenty of life left on them?

When you first start it and drive off, it sounds like a diesel truck going down the road and then it just goes away? <-------Yeah probably a stupid question.

What advice could any of you give for increased gas mileage, I know about not stomping on it, but is there any add-on/mods that would help me in that area?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: questions/advice

Welcome!

There is a lot of info in the search menu. Look at the top of the screen and select Search. Then search the Durango 1st Generation and the topic you are looking for.

As for the belt. It could be a bearing. Look at the bearing on the tensioner pulley. Someone else could of put some kind of crap on the pulleys or belt. Replace the belt and clean the pulleys with brake cleaner. Make sure you don't get any in the bearings. Just the contact surfaces. Always replace your oil EVERY 3K miles Synthetic or regular.

Old 10-17-2006, 01:24 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

welcome to df... your idler arm bearing could be bad... it's the one that is fixed and sits between the alt & ac compressor. the best way to find it however is to get a mechanics stethescope, ($10 bux max) and put it on the body of the alt, ac comp power steering pump etc until you hear it squeeling. it'll be alot louder than the others so it'll be obvious which one is bad. if it is the idler pulley, yank the belt and it's 1 bolt to take it off (center bolt). easy.

the brake pads have a built in piece of metal that is called a wear sensor... when the pad gets down to the end of it's life, the wear sensor will make contact with the rotor and cause a grinding noise, probably not your issue. when the brakes are applied the pads will vibrate in the caliper which will cause a squeel. what you can do is take them out and apply a small amount of grease to the surfaces that make contact with the caliper AND are in a spot that moves. you only need a light coat of grease to make it stop squeeling. been doing this for 20~25 years and have never had an issue with the brakes squeeling afterwards. Be careful not to get any oils or grease on the pads & rotors, that would be bad. if you do get some on the rotors only use Brake Klean on them to get it off. it will leave no residue and will not affect the pads. if you get some on the pads, your best bet is to sand them down lightly until they are true (flat) and the grease is gone. may not work with oil as the pads may tend to soak up the oil.

anyway, welcome to df... post some pics of your D...

Old 10-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forums DD,

"When you first start it and drive off, it sounds like a diesel truck going down the road and then it just goes away?"

That may just be your fan clutch. It roars and then it will quiet down.

When I got mine replaced, it roars alot. Thinking of switching to a lighter clutch to keep things quiet.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Remember. There is only 28K miles on this rig not 100K people.[>:]

1. Could very well be the Idler Pulley. I'm thinking the dealer put Armor All on the motor to shine it up. This is a classic for dealers to do to make the motors look great. Problem is that sometimes they coat the pulleys or it soaks into the belt and it makes them slip on their mounting surfaces between the pulley and the belt.

I still think the bearings in all of the pulleys are just fine, but like I said I'm leaning more toward the belt. I think cleaning all mounting surfaces and replacing the belts are going to be your fix.

2. Your clutch fan is working properly. Don't worry about it. That is what it is supposed to do.

3. There is brake grease that is recommended for use with brakes and their heat. Use only this. (Brake Lube) But like he said don't get any on the brake rotors or pads.

Old 10-18-2006, 09:46 PM
DuckDodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all your help guys, I will post pics of it this weekend.