1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

High Idle, Check Engine Lite With Code P1294 99 Durango 5.9 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:53 PM
steelerguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Idle, Check Engine Lite With Code P1294 99 Durango 5.9 4WD

The high idle is around 1000 to 1200 rpm after warm up.
The check engine lite is constant once on but resets for a few days.

In the past. There have been a couple of instances at various temperatures & altitudes where I start the vehicle & it stalls a few times before starting & staying running. Then it runs fine & doesn't do it again for at least 6 months.

Stopped by Autozone & their reader gave me the code & a printout that says Injector High Side Open - bank 2/target idle not reached

The Haynes manual says "Target Idle Not Reached" under DRB Scan Tool Display & "Actual Idle Speed Does Not Equal Target Idle Speed".

I almost changed the Idle Air Controller after one of the stalling incidents. That is my first guess. The Haynes manual does have a resistance check but it'll have to wait for the weekend as long as it's otherwise running okay.

Update: Just to get the cheap stuff out of the way, I stopped by an autozone this morning & changed the PCV Valve Cleaning the throttle body& had them reset the check engine lite. The high idle is exactly the same. Check Engine lite hasn't come on yet but it probably will as the underlying problem still appears broken.

Going to try pulling & cleaning the Idle Air Controller per a suggestion from this post https://dodgeforum.com/m_437402/tm.htm . If that doesn't work, will probably change the IAC and/or pull the throttle body for a comple cleaning. Also in that same forum.

Note: Auto Zone had the Throttle Body gasket in stock for a dollar. Picking it up just in case.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:02 PM
steelerguy
Default RE: Idle High Check Engine Lite With Code P1294 99 Durango 5.9 4WD

This past Friday night, I checked the vacuum at the PCV Valve hose with the PCV valve taped. It was a steady 18PSI. Left it on for a long time & it stayed steady. When I put hose back on the PCV valve the idle was normal when it was just high & wavering. So I inspected the hose & when I moved it around, it broke off where in plugs in to the engine port. Replaced that piece & the piece of the same size that goes onto the brake boost. Idle was solid at 650 & probleme appeard fixed.

Note had the check engine light on the way home. Same code at Autozone. Had it reset.

Saturday, morning when things were cooled off I pulled the IAC & it was caked with carbon buildup. Cleaned it off with Carb cleaner & cleaned the port on the throttle body where it plugs in. While out, I checked the ohms per the Haynes manual (which doesn't tell you which of the 4 pins to check but gives you varying values depending on the ambient temp. Anyway, that was no where near what it said that it should be but I was checking it out of the vehicle & the instructions check is with it installed. 2 inner contacts were straight short as well as 2 outer contacts. Thought that it might be different with the mounting screws installed & the sensor case grounded. Also thought that the Haynes manual has been way off on other electrical values before & since it worked fine when started the engine with a perfect idle, I didn't bother checking it again.

Also pulled the throttle position sensor since I was in the area & cleaned it & it's port. Not very dirty like the IAC. The Durango worked fine all day.

However, Saturday night, I noticed the idle high again but no check engine lite yet. I figured that if one vacuum hose is bad there could be others so I started moving things around. Found a 1" or so vacuum hose that was capped & resting on the top of the driver side valve cover. Picked it up & the cap broke in half. It's apparently there for some uninstalled componet. Anyway, I pulled the cap out the unbroken half looked solid so I just filled the whole thing with high temp RTV. It didn't dry solid & not sure if there is any vacuum on this hose anyway as I haven't followed it back to it's source. Was wrapped up with a smaller vac hose & it was late.

Sunday morning, the idle appeared okay at start-up but it quickly went & stayed high. The RTV'd cap feels very soft. I was too busy to troubleshoot further & spent the rest of the day too depressed after watching my Steelers give a game to the lowly Raiders.

Plan to go by autozone & ohms check an IAC out of a box & to further inspect replace vacuum hoses. If the IAC ohms check is different than my results, I'll buy it & change it.

Did not clean the throttle body mount as I thought that the vacuum check could not be good if that was the problem.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:00 PM
steelerguy
Default RE: High Idle, Check Engine Lite With Code P1294 99 Durango 5.9 4WD

Update, Monday Night: Checked the Vacuum again & with the PCV Vale taped & the gauge in its hose, the Vacuum gauge wavered between 17 & 18. The Haynes manual says vacuum should be between 17 & 21 PSI at idle. Question to me, is there a slight vacuum leak that's causing the high idle while still reading barely within tolerance. It never went below 17 but the other night it was a solid 18 PSI with hardly any fluctuation. Don't know if that means anything or not. Maybe the IAC is causing all this. Want to troubleshoot my vacuum system better & be certain I don't have a leak causing all this. Any advice on this?

Stopped by autozone earlier in the day & ohmed out an IAC. 2 middle contacts are a direct short as well as the 2 inner contacts. Just like mine after I pulled it. Still have not ohmed the installed IAC on the vehicle to see if the grounded unit shows anything. Get home late after a long drive & hate working on the D when it's that hot.

Anybody else out there check their 99 Durango Vacuum lately? Wondering what you got.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:01 PM
steelerguy

Update, Monday Night: Checked the Vacuum again & with the PCV Vale taped & the gauge in its hose, the Vacuum gauge wavered between 17 & 18. The Haynes manual says vacuum should be between 17 & 21 PSI at idle. Question to me, is there a slight vacuum leak that's causing the high idle while still reading barely within tolerance. It never went below 17 but the other night it was a solid 18 PSI with hardly any fluctuation. Don't know if that means anything or not. Maybe the IAC is causing all this. Want to troubleshoot my vacuum system better & be certain I don't have a leak causing all this. Any advice on this?

Stopped by autozone earlier in the day & ohmed out an IAC. 2 middle contacts are a direct short as well as the 2 inner contacts. Just like mine after I pulled it. Still have not ohmed the installed IAC on the vehicle to see if the grounded unit shows anything. Get home late after a long drive & hate working on the D when it's that hot.

Anybody else out there check their 99 Durango Vacuum lately? Wondering what you got.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:25 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

sounds like your IAC is on it's way out. swap it out. unless you have a vacuum leak and something is not working like it should, i'd leave the vacuum alone. next time you have your TB off, look down into th eintake manifold and look for oil pooling on the bottom. you may need a mirror & flash light to see the corners. no pooling means your plenum is sealed good. a light film is normal. the plenum leaking is a common one.

welcome to DF...

Old 11-06-2006, 08:41 PM
steelerguy

Monday a week later. I thought I might have fixed it earlier in the week. Found the vacuum line off of the module under the dash that controls the defrost/lower module. Put it on & I thought the idle seemed to more stable. Guess that I had a soft code earlier that day as the check engine lite was on but went out on it's own. Talking to a technician, the idle is nearly 100% computer/sensor controlled & is not a steady number like the old vehicles. He said the TPSs have been wreaking havoc on Durangoes for years & that he'd change it out of principal.

The check engine lite is on today. Have not gone to have it read yet but I'm betting on P1294. Maybe I should have gone in to have the soft code record reset after reattaching the vacuum line under the hood?

Also, I though I noticed a little rpm racing at highway speed on the way in this morning. Hard to say for sure. Would think that would be attributable to the TPS more than an IAC. But then maybe I'm just over-analyzing the vehicle now.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:29 PM
steelerguy

About 10 days later:

I decided to have the check engine lite reset one more time the last time it reappeared. It's been idling just fine since then & running great. No recurrence of the lite.

If this is fixed, I would say it was fixed by replacing the 1. Cleaning a very dirty idle air control valve 2. replacing a cracked vac line to the PCV valve and/or 3. reconnecting the vac line to the defrost/floor vent module under the dash board.

The only other thing that I did not entered here was when I stopped by autozone that one night & the counter person helped me, we disconnected the IAC to have it generate a total failure code (was not P1294 & wasn't supposed to be). We reset the check enging lite. Note: this was not the last step taken so I don't think it fixed anything as the check eng lite with P1294 probably came on 2 more times.

If the lite & code reappear I will probably change the IAC as advised by the moderator & will update this thread.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional

You may want to clean or replace the snap connector on the back of the alternator (the highest connection).
Look to see if the plastic of the connector and degraded with age and become brittle. Use a spray contact cleaner.
This was previously suggested in other posts to solve a high (sometimes random occurring) idle speed - and in my case it worked great after everything else failed...

Chris

Quick Reply: High Idle, Check Engine Lite With Code P1294 99 Durango 5.9 4WD