1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ping on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 07:14 PM
durango360
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ping on acceleration

Hey guys, you seem to be pretty informative, so lets see if i can get some help with this one too..I have been experiencing a heavy ping under moderate to heavy acceleration. I have tried higher octane fuel already. I am thinking something in the way of a sensor on the air intake side? I currently have a K&N FIKP and superchips Max Microtuner currently running the 87 octane setup. Any ideas???

Old 10-31-2006, 08:24 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: ping on acceleration

99% of the time its the plenum gasket. sits on the bottom of the intake manifold and oil will leak into it since its under vacuum. pop off the TB and look down into the manifold and see if there is any oil pooling on the bottom. pooling is a sign of leakeage. a light film is ok.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:38 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better fuel

Better plugs (AutoLite 3923s)

Uncrossed plug wires

Follow the TSB settings for changing the plug wire routes

Cleaner TB

Change to the HiPerformance SuperChips tuner setting and always run premium fuels

Avoid ethanol blends (your D predates that technology and is not optimally setup for such)

All will go to help the Pinging issues.

Now, DO NOT take your D to the dealer complaining of pinging. There is a flash that they will perform on your PCM (computer) that is know outside in the community as the "Death Flash". Your ping will be gone, but so will your performance and 30%+ of your power. All the flash is doing is basically changing the timing, and you can acheive similar results by doing the things on the list above.

If your problem is only under WOT, and you are not 'using' any oil, it isn't your plenum gasket. That failure isn't as common as some lead on to believe all in all.

HTH,

IndyD

Old 11-01-2006, 01:46 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: IndyDurango

Better fuel

Better plugs (AutoLite 3923s)

Uncrossed plug wires

Follow the TSB settings for changing the plug wire routes

Cleaner TB

Change to the HiPerformance SuperChips tuner setting and always run premium fuels

Avoid ethanol blends (your D predates that technology and is not optimally setup for such)

All will go to help the Pinging issues.

Now, DO NOT take your D to the dealer complaining of pinging. There is a flash that they will perform on your PCM (computer) that is know outside in the community as the "Death Flash". Your ping will be gone, but so will your performance and 30%+ of your power. All the flash is doing is basically changing the timing, and you can acheive similar results by doing the things on the list above.

If your problem is only under WOT, and you are not 'using' any oil, it isn't your plenum gasket. That failure isn't as common as some lead on to believe all in all.

HTH,

IndyD

all good suggestions... the plenum however is a common problem... hang out in enough of the right forums and it's clear it's an issue.

you have an aluminum manifold and a steel plate both heating and expanding at differnent rates. this will put pressure on the original gasket causing it to fail. the better gasket to use it the felpro one.

Here are 2 companies that sell replacement plenums
http://www.apsprecision.com/
http://www.hughesengines.com/

Old 11-06-2006, 10:09 PM
durango360
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, just another update, but i just put my D back on the road after putting in a new tranny and the ping on acceleration is GONE!!!! I had not yet done anything to it and the ping is gone.... i will see if it comes back in the near future, but for now.........kind of an expensive fix to a slight ping huh? lol.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:47 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

did your battery get disconnected? if so your going thru the learning cycle. you wont have ping then as it runs rich until if figures things out again.

Quick Reply: ping on acceleration