1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4wheel drive problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 12:44 AM
redpepper99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wheel drive problems

I was out wheeling my durango one weekend and was in 4Low. When I stepped on the gas it would pop out of 4Low. What could be the problem?

Old 07-23-2004, 11:04 PM
00durang00
Default RE: 4wheel drive problems

hmm dont know much about the durango yet mostly stick to my cherokee, but i know a common problem with the cherokees is the vaccume that goes into the front axle. if durangos are vaccum disco i would check that, otherwise sounds like a linkage problem. try adjusting the linkage on the xfer case shift lever and see if that works. btw what type of wheeling did you need low for? im asking cause i wheel my jeep through rocks and been in mud/ water thats upto my windshield and needed low once and that was goin up a steep loose rock grade, bumper was dragging on approach haha
hope this helps

Old 07-24-2004, 02:31 PM
JCswm
Veteran

Do you have electronic shift into 4X4 or a shift lever???
If it's a lever you might need to adjust it ... a 3" body lift will change the angle of the shifter to the transfer case

Old 08-18-2004, 11:19 PM
redpepper99

It's been awhile since I was on here sorry about that.
I have a shift lever and I haven't adjust the lever, I am not exactly sure how to. I am a beginning 4wheeler. I was wheeling in Tahuya, WA and I was stuck between two tree roots. one root was behind my front wheel and the other was in fron of my rear wheel. I couldn't move. Sucked. I also had a tree blocking me in the rear and to my left also a drop off to my left. Had to have some guy pull me side ways. .

Hey 00Durango00. Do you have a snorkel on your cherokee? is it custom made?

Old 06-09-2005, 03:12 PM
Dave in LB
Professional

I was just reading a report in Mopar magazine about the linkage in the 4Lo having an issue. I started getting concerned as well as I just bought a used 2000 Durango and I can't get the lever to go into 4Lo. May need to have the transfer case linkage checked out. The issue is named as a loose Transfer case shifter lever grommet. Hope it's just a little fix.

Quick Reply: 4wheel drive problems