1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:14 PM
kmcdonough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid change

I have a 2003 durango 4WD with 4.7L and auto tranny. I want to change the fluids in the front/rear diff, transfer case and tranny. Does anyone know the fluid specs (type and amount) for this vehicle. I am looking for a shop manual but can't find one. Thanks in advance.
Kevin McD.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Fluid change

First off you should check your glove box to see if you have an open diff or limited slip. If you have limited slip then you need friction modifier from the stealership. Two tubes, one front and one rear. I put 75-90 mobil 1 synth gear oil in mine which is cheaper than the stealers gear oil which isn't even synth. As far as amount 5 quarts should do it. I used all but 1/2 a quart on mine on my change a few months ago. Tranny needs atf 4 and holds 12 quarts but I don't know how much you actually get out since my tranny went before I did my change and the shop took care of all that. Transfer case anyone?

Old 12-01-2006, 11:59 PM
kmcdonough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info. Can you overfillthe diffs? With my 03 Ram there was much contoversy with overfilling the diffs because of the foaming that may occur with the synthetic fluid.
Kevin McD.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:53 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You fill them up to around 1/4 of an inch below the filler hole but I don't really see the harm if it goes all the way up to the hole.

Quick Reply: Fluid change