1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 12:31 PM
viperbob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: speakers

I just did all of this on a '98 D. Went with 63.7s (just a few $$s more) and they worked great. Easy install. Got the two pairsoff eBay for a total of about $200.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:04 PM
durango360
Rookie

I have not received my speakers yet. They should arrive this week. I ordered the 62.7i for the rear and a pair of the 60.7cs for the front. I will let you guys know how easy it is and how they sound when i am done....

Old 12-20-2006, 03:12 AM
02silverango

please do! i'd like to know what they sound like. i'm used to ripping people off by tearing out their entire systems lol like that guy told you to do. i'm sure it will sound great as long as they are all 2 ohm.

Old 12-29-2006, 05:49 PM
durango360
Rookie

Ok, it took a while, but I finally got the 62.7i speakers installed in the rear doors. The install took about 20 minutes (I could not find my bits for the driver....) othewise would have only taken about 10 minutes. The adapters that came with the speakers were a perfect fit and the install was a breeze. Now....when i turned the truck stereo on, the sound was about the same as the 4ohm Blaupaunkts that I had put in there previously....the volume is low on the rears. I know question whether or not the rear channel on the factory amp is fading away on me..if that is possible. The front seems to be twice as loud as the front. I don't think I am getting the full effect of the Infinity's ability. I am still going to look into this and see what happens after I install the Infinity's that I bought for the front, the 60.7cs...looking forward to getting my sound back.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:23 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna state the obvious so don't be mad at me. Is the stereo adjusted to give equal power to all the speakers (That little switch that controls where you get the most sound). Sorry I'm not good with car audio or electronics in general.

Old 12-30-2006, 08:52 AM
durango360
Rookie

No, im not mad, i should have stated all the variables in that posting......yes, equal settings. I used to be pretty active in the car stereo field.....but that was 13 yrs ago...alot has changed since then.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 AM
durango360
Rookie

Ok, finally completed the install of the front speakers, 60.7cs, in my D and the difference is night and day....The install was extremely easy, all brackets were included and fit like it was from the factory. I took the extra time to solder everything, but even with that, it only took 30 minutes to do this. If you have never had seperate tweeters, it may take a little bit of time for you to get used to the difference between component speakers and regular 6.5" speakers. The sound is great, but don't expect alot of bass from this set up. The mids and highs sound great (for being used with the factory head unit and amp). They would probably sound better with a high end amp, but as it sits, its my daily driver so I am not gonna drop mega $$$ into the sound system...(been there, done that.....)....all in all, I would definitely recommend these to anyone looking for an upgrade/replacement for there stockers....

Old 01-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only burp I have is the OEM infinity speakers had a better deeper bass response than the aftermarket Infinity's!! But the aftermarket Infinity's have a much crisper full range sound overall tho. I am happy with them. I am currently using Infinity 6012's and those speakers did not come with the 3 ear adaptor ring to make it fit my OEM speaker spacers. Without that OEM spacer, the speaker would not have fit the opening due to the window rail being in the way (depth wise). Luckily I was able to find someone that makes those custom rings to adapt my Infinity 6012's to the OEM spacer so I can now use any kind of 6.5 inch speaker. I will look around and find a 6.5 inch speaker with a very long (deep) bass cone driver to see if this improves bass response. I had all 4 of my OEM's changed to the 6012's. The 6012's are 4 ohm speakers. You can always add a higher resistance speaker on a lesser resistance amp system, but not the other way around.

Also, the sound difference between the front and rear is noticable in my Infinity system as well since the day I bought this Durango. The fader is set where all 4 speakers equally get the same sound volume. This must be by design where the fronts are naturally louder only to benefit the driver mainly I guess.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:31 AM
en1gma01

ORIGINAL: viperbob

I just did all of this on a '98 D. Went with 63.7s (just a few $$s more) and they worked great. Easy install. Got the two pairsoff eBay for a total of about $200.
Sorry for bumping an old topic but I was wondering if there is a big difference in sound between Infinity 62.7i and Infinity 63.7i and if I get the 63.7i will they fit fine with the original wiring since its a 3-way speaker? And I will have Infinity 60.7cs in the front. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: speakers