1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

goin to buy a Durango.. your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: goin to buy a Durango.. your opinion

Nope but this one has a lifetime warranty so if it gives me problems I will send it in and pay the difference for a better one.

That is definitely the most important thing though is a new radiator since the check valve won't allow a reverse flush. Stupid engineers not thinking... [:@]

Old 01-20-2007, 02:06 AM
Camper1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking about buying a 2007 Durango. We have a 29' TT weighing 6500 lbs. Does anyone have any experience towing with a Durango? I'd appreciate any advice before I make this purchase.

Old 01-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the 2nd gen D with the 5.7 is a bit different then our D's (we don't have the hemi [:@]but we do have the magnum ) Both engines are very capable the only thing you will need to do is make sure you have the right gearing. 3.93's should be good for 7500 lbs. if I remember correctly but it may be 4.10's. Just make sure you have the appropriate gears or you will be changing them out which can be costly. The 3.55's are pretty common and are only good for about 4500 lbs.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Brordo

I hear alot about picking an '03. From a search on the 'net here are the changes from '02 to '03:

[ul][*]Standard four-wheel disc brakes for increased stopping power
New 16" x 7" cast-aluminum wheels, standard on Sport models
P245/70R16 black sidewall on/off road tires, standard on Sport 4x4[*]40/20/40 second row seat is standard[*]Four-gauge cluster standard on Sport and SXT
Woodgrain center stack bezel is replaced by Satin Silver — SLT Plus
Interior color-key door handles are replaced with Brushed Chrome
Optional AM/FM stereo radio with six-disc in-dash CD [/ul]
I have a 2002 SLT+ 5.9 and like it alot. I would definitely buy again. Yep, she's thirsty but I expected that. Not sure if this pertains to the U.S. but up here in Canada the '03 only came with P245 tires. I'd prefer the 4 wheel disk brakes but those 245's are too small. So my recommendation is for the '02 or '03 (probably would be influenced more by price/mileage/service history after narrowing it down to those 2 years).

Old 01-21-2007, 12:49 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

I am aUS purchaser, and my factory recommendations are 245/70/16 I just got a set of Michelin X-Radial LT and I am very happy. My 03 does have the four wheel disc's and they help a lot. According to the Haynes manual the procedure for the rear brake removal/inspection/replacement is the same as the front so that will save time. With some of the posts I have heard of the oil sludging in the 4.7 I would strongly recommend making sure you have the full instrument gauge package (SPEEDO, TACH, FUEL, OIL PRESSURE, VOLTS,COOLANT TEMP) It is thirsty, but by going back to the 245's from the 265's my mileage increased about 2 mpg so far, (I am borderline 15.0 up from 12.4) I am not saying that you can't use 265's just not my cup of tea. If you are looking for almost a gauranteed 4 wheel dics I would stay 2003 or newer. My SLT is 4X4 leather 3rd row, after market XM stereo/CD overhead console, very sweet ride. After 5.5 years in a Cherokee, the columm shifter will take a bit of getting used to but other than that no major issues. I will advise to pay attention to the anti lock sustem. Some models (like mine) have rear ABS and some have 4 wheel ABS. Make sure you get a copy of the build sheet from the dealer to see which one. The ABS light is no different so you may not know, and the front wheels may still lock but the rears are designed to not lock to maintain control and keep the aft from sliding out under you. Alsopay attention to the driver seat belt. Mine did not have the little tab under the belt which keeps the buckle fromsliding to the floor when not in use. It is not the ned of the world if it is not there since it is only about a 5 minute fix, if you are negotiating with dealer, try to work it into the deal. I didnt, it cost me $13.25plus a tube of superglue. If you cant get it in the deal or negotiate the part only then don't panic it is a real simple repair. PM me and I will assist.

O.K The highlights. 1. Make sure you get the oil pressure gage, I recommend that for any engine but more so with the 4.7.
2. Check Anti lock brakes, build sheet to verify which ABS is onboard rear or 4wheel. 3. 2003 and above for discs, earlier models may have them but they maybe options. Good luck, the Durango is safe, attractive and durable.

Steve

Quick Reply: goin to buy a Durango.. your opinion