1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Electrical Problem 2000 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 10:44 PM
mrushton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problem 2000 Durango

I recently observed my rear tailights out on my 2000 durango. I replaced the brake light fuse under the hood and the lights worked ( for a moment). As soon as I started the truck the lights went out. I replaced the fuse and the lights worked. While checking the lights I realized that one of the three third brake lights bulbs were out and one rear light, so those were replaced.

The lights worked for a 1/2hr or so and went out. (still have tail and signal, just no brake.

I removed the auto starter (in for 3 years) that's recently been acting funny (after you pull the key from the off position the car stays running, if it was initially started with the remote.

I dissconnect the powers to the control box and disable the power from the fuse box, replace fuse and lights work. After placing the vehicle in forward and reverse a couple of times the fuse blows again and no brake lights.

Any ideas or thoughts before taking it to the dealer?

Thanks.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Bossman351
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electrical Problem 2000 Durango

Sounds like youre shorting to ground. Is your vehicle equiped with the towing package? If so look at the wiring that feeds into the trailer plug and make sure you didnt snag something or that a pesky squirrell didnt gnaw some of the wires bare. The squirrell thing happened to me and I had ti do some rewiring.

Quick Reply: Electrical Problem 2000 Durango