1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

new durango owner with question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:28 PM
jalapeenoz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new durango owner with question

Just bought a 02 Durango that has the 4wd switch on the dash. The vehicle didnt come with an owners manual so I'm not sure how the 4wd system works. We're getting snow here and I would think 4wd hi would be acceptable but when and how do you shift into it? Are there speed restrictions? Can you leave it in as long as there is snow on the ground? Any help would be great.

Old 01-21-2007, 03:53 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Default RE: new durango owner with question

1. I would strongly recommend purchasing a owners manual. I got mine from a junkyard for about $20 and today it paid for itself. I have a 03 Durango SLT 4X4 but I would venture to say the steps are the samebut dont quote me. Here is the steps from my manual, that might be a good starting point.

PREFERED PROCEDURE:

a. With engine running slow vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h)
b. Shift transmission into NEUTRAL
c. While still rolling, rotate te transfer case control switch to the desired position, (4HI, 4LO)
d. After he desired position indicator light is on (not flashing), shift transmission back into gear.

ALTERNATE PROCEDURE:

a. Bring vehicle to complete stop.
b. With the key on and the engine either OFF or RUNNING, shift the transmission into NEUTRAL
c. Rotate the transfer case control swith to the desired position.
d. After the desired position indicator light is solid, shift transmission into gear.

NOTES: IF STEPS 1 or 2 of the PREFERRED OR ALTERNATE PROCEDURE are not satisfied prior to attempting the shift or if they no longer are being met while the shift attempt is in procedd then the desired position indicator light will flash continously while the original position indicator light is on, until all requirements have been met.

AGAIN THIS STEP IS FOR 2003 DURANGO, TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND GETTING THE 2002 OWNERS MANUAL, THIS MANUAL WILL COME IN HANDY FOR NOT ONLY TRANSFER CASE, BUT OTHER STEPS AND GENERAL PROCEDURES FOR EVERYDAY USE.

GOOD LUCK,

STEVE

Old 01-21-2007, 04:10 PM
ganzhimself
Professional

I don't know what the selections you have for 4wd are in the 02, but if they are similar to the 98, With the NV - 231 Transfer case or the NV - 242 HD Transfer case these are the mode positions and what they're appropriate for:

NV-231

2H: Rear Wheel Drive. Suitable for "Normal" driving conditions
4H: Four-wheel drive high range. When driving conditons require more traction thatn two-wheel drive provides.
N: Neutral disengages both driving axels.
4L: Four-wheel drive low range - When maximum pulling power is required. Do not exceed 25 mph (40kph).

NV-242HD

2H - Same as NV231
4PT: Part time 4 wheel drive high range. Additional traction, for slippery, loose road surfaces only
4FT: Full time 4 wheel drive high range: All road surfaces
N: Same as NV231
4L: Same as NV231

With both transfer cases, to shift to 4L you must be going under 3MPH and have the transmission in Neutral. If you pause at neutral, you may have to switch off the engine to avoid gear clash when completing the shift.

Inthe 98, with either transfer case, shifting to 4H or 4PT mode can be done while the vehicle is in motion, at speeds up to 55mph. (I wouldn't ever try this.)

Old 01-21-2007, 05:13 PM
jalapeenoz
Professional

This is supposed to be a shift on the fly set up. Are you guys saying that I should come almost to a stop even to go into 4 hi mode? Doesnt that defeat the purpose of being able to "shift on the fly?" I've never had 4 wheel drive before so this is all new to me.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:28 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same as my uncles 02 quad cab dakota-

Of course use the dial to select which drive you want. Not intended for use on dry pavement. You can select 2wd to 4wd Hi at speeds under 55 (i wouldnt do it at any speed more than 20 personally). 2wd to 4wd Low you have to be idleing along (your vehicle in motion under 5mph). You can leave it in 4wd Hi as long as there is snow on the ground if you prefer, as long as you do alot of city driving, but driving it at speeds above 60 mph for extended periods of time (on the highway) may damage your transfer case. Only use 4lo (ive only used my 4Low one time, when i pulled out a stump) when you need the extra power forpulling or if your offroading at slow speeds.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:36 AM
ganzhimself
Professional

Not only does driving in 4HI on dry pavement not only risk damaging your transfer case, but you're putting undue stress on the front wheel hubs. I had to replace the passenger side hub assembly in my 98 because I didn't switch out of 4HI when road conditions on the highway changed from snowy to just wet, then to dry. Didn't take very long to destory the passenger hub bearings, and you're looking at about $150-200 for the part and another $100 in labor at the shop. I very rarely use 4 wheel drive unless it's snowy or unless I'm in the mud.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:22 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/m_574544/tm.htm

This is a link to everything you need to know about your 4wd system just a few pages back.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

I have always had these rules and they have never let me down:

2wd: All Speeds
4wd Hi: Speeds below 40 mph, should only be used when conditions dictate.
4wd Low: Speeds never exceeding 10 mph, should only be used when all out traction is a must.

Switching between transmission selections should always be done below 3 mph. Personally, I dont understand why someone would want to be moving when transferring between modes due to very unnecessary strain on front transmission components. I always bring the rig to a full stop before switch transmission modes.

Quick Reply: new durango owner with question