1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango - Fan cluch

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 08:11 PM
dfoofer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango - Fan cluch

Any one know what i would use to hold the pully from spinning so I can get the fan cluch off?

Old 02-11-2007, 05:30 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Durango - Fan cluch

Strap wrench...

Old 02-11-2007, 11:24 AM
JJ67RS

either you could use a strap wrench or there is a tool that is shaped like a Y with a rounded center with pins to fit into the holes on the face of the pulley. its got a pretty long handle...so you can at least hold it from above the fan shroud. You are still going to need the wrench for the fan clutch though I believe it is a 36mm, need a thin one though...The pulley tool is made by Schley Products, and you can order it from www.Tooltopia.com ,It is the SCH99800. It is selling for $53 right now...you are better off getting it...it will hold better than a strap wrench, no chance of pulley slipping and handle is longer than a strap wrench....Not too mention you are going to need it again anyway when your water pump goes... Just had to do mine yesterday.... Good luck...

Old 02-11-2007, 06:45 PM
dfoofer

Save yourself some $$$$$. I did not buy either wrench. I figured after one use they were a waste to me until the next time. Here is a cheep fix!
Get a 12" adjustable wrench.( something you might have or could always use for 1,000's of other things.) Then get a 1/8 in thick, about 3 ft. long piece of flat steel. Now get 2 bolts w/ nuts ( 1" long and small enough to fit in the holes in the pully )
Drill one hole in the end of the steel and put the bolt in and tighten the nut to it. Place the bar in one of the holes on the pully and then mark the steel with a pencile in line with one of the other holes on the pully. Drill that one out and put in the bolt and nut in. If you drilled the holes in the right spot, both bolts will go in two of the holes and the other end of the bar will give you a great handle to hold on to.
The bar and wrench will both fit and off comes the cluch.
Thetool took 5 minutes and cost me zero to make.

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango - Fan cluch