1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

where do I report bad ball joints?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 07:11 PM
DurnRango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where do I report bad ball joints?

So after all I have read about the problems with ball joints, and knowing that mine have been bad for a while, I finally quit waiting for Daimler to do the right thing. It is easier for me because I have the extended warranty, but there is a $100 deductible and a $25 environmental fee. Both my upper and lower ball joints were in need of replacement. Two questions - First, who do I report that I had a ball joint problem to? I want to be sure I get counted in the people who have had problems and hopefully force the recall. Second - if there is a recall, can I expect to get my $125 back? I would think so - at least the deductible and maybe not the environmental fee. Because recalls are FREE replacements of faulty parts. Therefore I hope I would at least get my $100 back - if not all of it.

Thanks and for those of you whom haven't had this problem, I hope you don't - if you do, for your sake I hope it finally gets recalled...

Rick

Old 08-19-2004, 01:02 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: where do I report bad ball joints?

Call anybody you want they don't care. If they did launch a recall you would get your money back if you had a receipt. I just got my district manager pay for mine, parts only, and I work for them. I asked him about a recall and he said "if it was going get recalled it would have happened by now". I am just as pissed as anybody, now I have to do my own on MY time after working on this junk 40+ hours a week. I wished one had broke so i could wreck and sue just to get my point across, THEY ARE JUNK AND SHOULD BE RECALLED. The really scary thing is the number I see that are bad the owners don't even know it.

Old 08-19-2004, 07:19 AM
durango666

well how are you supposed to know if there bad? I don't know much bout cars, but I love my D.

Old 08-19-2004, 12:18 PM
DurnRango

DodgeMech - I feel your pain...well, I guess not really - I didn't have to fix my own - I don't know how long it takes, but I assume more than 2 hours - and that means more then $100 in labor time alone. Sorry abou that for you - but at least you got the parts for free.

durango666 - nice name! I'm sure many feel the same way about their Durango's! Ours has actually been very good minus the ball joints. I don't know how to diagnose bad ball joints but I can tell you what ours was doing. Primarily at slow speeds, when turning, I would hear pops coming from the wheel wells - used to refer to it as a clunk, but saw where others have said a pop. I say somewhere in between! But either way, if you hear these sounds, it is probably worth checking in to. I have read stories where people's tire has fallen completely off while underway. IF that is true, and this many Durango's have the problem, I can't imagine why they haven't been recalled.

If anyone knows who I am supposed to report this to, let me know and I'll do it. I would like my $100 back and for everyone else to have decent ball joints!

Old 10-11-2006, 07:57 PM
cstradling24

Hey I have the same problem as all of you but I dont know how much it will cost to have them replaced. I have a 99 durango and i have the noise comeing from my front left wheel.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:30 PM
hamlin562000

I have the same issues. You can report it to www.nhtsa.com FYI there is a investigation on going with the ball joints and the more people that complain about it will provide a better chance for a recall. Doubtful but you never know.

Old 10-22-2006, 09:55 PM
cableguy1224
Veteran

Hello, Im a little confused here, Whats years are you guys talking about, Dodge has a open recall on ALL 99-02 Dakotas and Durangos, I took mine to the dealer and they replaces the UPPER for the recall and I had to pay to replace the lower ones, Also you know there bad when you take weight off the front end like with a jack and you grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and see if it wobbles back and forth,

Hope this helps a little

Quick Reply: where do I report bad ball joints?