1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

First Durango - Help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 03:15 AM
DurangoDanger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Durango - Help please

I have the almost exact same D as you, 98 SLT, with the 318 and the 3.92s, it towes fine. I have a 27', 5000 pound camper that I towed with it, it from where I live (northern WV) to the beach (usually, the Outer Banks of NC, mainly Emerald Isle or Nagshead) and I would occasionaly have to pull over to let 'er cool down, but that usually conincided with meals times, so it was all good. Now though, my dad has an 04 F-350 Powerstroke with the crew cab, so I bum that bad boy whenever I need to tow that trailer. I remember one time, to test that deisel, I ws doing 80 up hill, and the engine still acted as if it was a feather, where as my D woulda been huffing and puffing at that point (I usually towed with the D at about 50-55, below the speed limit up hill, just over it down hill, and right on it on level ground). But, yeah, to tow a 3,500 trailer, the 5.2 will do just fine. Want my advice though? find a 5.9. I wished I had waited and gotten one, the diff. in gas mileage is inconsequential, but I've driven one, and there is a decent change in the power and the accelerations. But the 5.2 would do (and does) just fine for towing.

-T Hitt

p.s. my advice: get a dedicated tow hitch, you know, with the sway brakes and everything, but also get just a plain ball hitch that sticks out maybe 6" or so. I leave one in now all the time, cause 2 years ago I had a fool in a hinda Accord rear-end me (and neither me nor him was wearing any protection, as he rear ended me! jk) but anyway, the result was a perfect, square hole punched into his bumper from my hitch-receiver. I later found out that he was an eye doctor, but since I had no damage, I was like it's all good, ya know? But if my back had hurt................................jk. But yeah, I leave a hitch back there all the time. I want to get one with a hook on it, so I can actaully use it as a recovery point in the mud (I don't want to use the ball, I've always taken the hitch clean out if I needed to tow someone outta the mud or the snow, b/c I've heard of the ball snapping off if you wrap the rope/chain (or I use a canvas tow strap that I keep in that sweet little cubby hole in the back, lol, ntw, back when I was 17, I got busted with liek 8 cases of booze in the back of my D, but I had a bottle of vodka and whiskey in that lil cunny hole, b/c the latch was concealed by the carpet mat, and the cops assumed they had all of my booze, they never even did an extensive, search, so we still had a party that night anyway!) that the ball can snap off and go flying into the vehicle being towed/towing you out (whichever one is behind you at the time).

p.p.s. Wow that was long [:-]

Old 02-15-2007, 02:49 PM
jordanmgregory

Sounds good... I towed my boat all last summer with my 4Runner (which I sold) until I broke a piston rod. Lol, it actually towed it pretty well as I could hit 70 on the freeway with boat in tow and oversized mud tires. I dont think the 5.2 or 5.9 would have any trouble, I just wish the Durangos came in a 5spd for so many reasons

I'm only towing typically for an hour or two at max anyway so I doubt overheating anything would be a big issue...

Old 02-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

I doubt you would have any problems, buts a trans cooler will give you the piece of mind.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:26 AM
jordanmgregory

I went and checked out a Durango today... it seemed good but the belts (pulley(s)) were squeaking pretty bad. The engine sounded like it was running well and I was happy to see it was the 5.9, although no transmission cooler. I couldn't find the diff gear ratio anywhere (glove box) and I even looked on the diff its self. Can I find out from the VIN?

How much is a transmission cooler if I decide to add one aftermarket (parts only)?

Old 02-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace the belt not a biggie and the tranny cooler is about 100 bux if i remember correctly.

Old 02-17-2007, 06:24 PM
found_fish

Hey Jordan, I just picked up my first Durango last week. I figure if you can find a solid vehicle you won't regret the investment! These things are the cat's a$$!

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Old 02-19-2007, 12:20 AM
uniquestylz

Yeah, if you take the VIN to the dealer, they can print you out a build sheet for your truck. It will show all options and option codes.

Quick Reply: First Durango - Help please