1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango R/T

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 08:55 PM
durango59rt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Durango R/T

Im close to getting a 2001 Durango R/T. I was curious what people thought about it in terms of how long it would last. It currently has 136,000 miles. Its my girlfriends mother's car and shes looking to get something else, shes getting rid of it so Id be getting a pretty good deal on it. The transmission was recently replaced and other then that it hasnt had any problems according to her. Just looking for opinions on whether or not it would be wise to persue it and I figured this would be a good place to ask. Additionally if I wound up getting it I thought this would benefit me in terms of mods etc. The area of concern with the vechicle is the high mileage and the reliability from hereon out so hopefully someone can advise me..Thanks alot...

Old 02-15-2007, 12:14 AM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2001 Durango R/T

Hi D59:
If the price is right, it sounds like a nice ride especially since you will know the history behind it. I have an 01, but it has the smaller 4.7 motor which I chose, but ifI had a deal like that, it would have been an RT.

Like all vehicles, our Durangos have their inherent issues, but that is the beauty of web sites like this.It is common that with proper care 200k is not aproblem for a D.

The RT was the top of the line gen 1 D. You automatically have the bigger 5.9 motor with leather interior, full time AWD, 3.92 gearing, and the limited lip rear axle. The RT was in production from 2000 through 2003. Since yours is an 01, that gives you the updated interior and the electric shift transfer case which many folks do not care for, but I love mine.

The only negative you will quickly see especially if this is your first SUV or truck is the mileage. Dont expect to see better than 9-12 mpg in town and 16 or so hwy. The 1st gen D weighs in just under 5k pounds so the motor does work to get it moving.

I know that others will chime, so I won't take up all the fun.

Hope you decide to add it to your fleet.

And welcome...........................Don

Old 02-15-2007, 12:27 AM
durango59rt

I would be getting a really nice deal on it, Id only have to give them whats left on their payments for it which is about $7400. I really like it alot, just drove it the other day. Its black and its got the two tone black and gray interior with the leather/suede seats. Towing package, heated seats, dual power seats, basically fully loaded. They only issue they said is the mileage which worries them.. Gas mileage is definatly going to be a bit of a problem but I figure its worth it. Im thinking with exhaust, intake, superchip it could be improved slightly. I was also looking at that Tornado fuel saver but I dont know how effective/ reliable it is..Basically Im in love with it and Im just really anxious to hopefully be getting it...

Old 02-15-2007, 03:27 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't bother with the tornado or TB spacers, they do not work on EFI engines. As far as the D It sounds ok but I don't think I'd pay that price for it with that many miles but then again it's the r/t. I like My SLT+ as it suits my tastes far better than the r/t. I got my 00 for $10.5k with 30k miles on it so I am sure you could find an r/t for the same price with about 60k miles or so.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:11 PM
durango59rt

Kelly Blue Book has the price at that mileage set at 8 at good condition with all the features it has. Price wise isnt too much of a problem for me, Im moreso worried about the longevity of the vechicle and how long it will last with the mileage it has.. Anything else that would improve gas mileage?

Old 02-15-2007, 03:14 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

With proper maintenance, the 5.9 motor has been proven to be bulletproof.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:37 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D59:
If this D had an unknown service history, that the 136K might cause me to hesitate,but I am guessing that your girls Mom either bought it new or has had it quite a while. If that is the case, I say go for it. At that price if you get three good years out of it you have gotten your moneys worth. Many of us herepaid two or three times that, and our D is not worth much more now due to age and gasprices.Since it is an SUV, that means it will always have a bit more residual value as a work or tow vehicle.

After you get it, I would change all the fluids possibly with the exception of the trans since you said it was recently rebuilt. That means transfer case and both axles as well as cooling system. If the plugs and wires are more than 2 years old or have more than 30-40k on themI would change those as well. If it needs tires, count on another $500-700 bucks for those.

Then, as my Grandad used to say you should be "Just like downtown."

Don

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango R/T