1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission and Tcase Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Frankenstein811
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission and Tcase Swap

Ok, guys....I've been looking at posts and have been researching doing a Transmission and Tcase swap.....first off, I'm not much of a fan of the dodge transmissions....Ive always noticed a clunk or bang in all of them....and I'm look at an aftermarket swap or upgrade. I'd like to get some feedback on this, and if anyone out there has done it. Secondly, I'm thinking of a Tcase swap from my NV244 tcase to the NV 242 or 242HD tcase...one reason being im not a fan of the awd on all the time, however I would like to have it on the case if i need it. Feedback and experience would be very much appreciated? Plus I think this would be a good topic to talk of...with pros and cons and different combinations of hook ups.

Thanks in advance....
Frankenstein811 (aka...Justin)

Old 02-18-2007, 02:42 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Transmission and Tcase Swap

You are better off going with the NV 242 HD. As for the trans, I don't think you can switch it out without computer upgrade. The different trans have different out/imputs and I can see the forseen adventures.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Frankenstein811
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I dont necessarily want to go with a transmission upgrade, but more of an equal swap...Ive seen a few aftermarket trannys that were equal to the 46RE, just built up.....would that work without an ecm upgrade or is there one i can do myself?

Old 02-18-2007, 04:49 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So hydra you think I would have to do anything with my pcm if I ever get a manual tranny in my D because I didn't expect that.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:50 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Frankie

I just finished swapping out my part time NV233 t case for a full time NV244. I can tell you that the only issue will be a minor bracket modification where the convertor bracket attaches to the T case.Where are you located? This case has 57k on it, and works 100%.

I do have a shipping box for the t case if you are interested. That would give you the PT4wd you seek, but would not address your tranny issues.
I would think that unless you are really off roading alot and towing a bunch of weight all the time your 46re would do just fine.

Don

Old 02-18-2007, 05:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Green

I would say that there are going to be some issues. Although you can call up some people like B&G and see just to be sure. They might have an upgrade for you to switch it over but I don't think so.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Mean Green
Champion

I would hate to change the PCM to do that. I told my wife I wanted a stick before we bought the D (I wanted a Dak QC) because they were far superior but she said if we were gonna get a truck it had to have a 3rd row and she wanted to be able to drive it. Over a year later we have used the 3rd row all of 2 times (2nd time was yesterday)and she has driven it (in a parking lot) twice. She's scared of it because the brakes aren't touchy, the steering is loose, and it's a lot bigger than any car she's driven. Oh well I still got mine.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Well Green we all know who where's the pants in your house.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah yeah I know but it was a compromise since she wanted her car first and I got mine first.

Quick Reply: Transmission and Tcase Swap