1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Remote Starter Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:03 PM
mschmidt23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Starter Question

Hello, all - I am new, and furthermore know nothing about remote starters. I purchased a 2001 Durango R/T that had a remote starter in it. Not sure if it is factory or aftermarket, because I got the truck used - in any event, it is controlled by a black remote fob with a lock, unlock, and panic button. To start it remotely, you push unlock 3 times.

Anyway, it has been starting BY ITSELF, very frequently now! This happens at random times, during the night is when I (and my neighbors) notice it most. After about 10-15 minutes it goes off. My mechanic, who is generally very good, says he can't do anything.

Should I contact a dealer (even though I didn't buy it from one? HELP!

Old 03-05-2007, 02:36 AM
fyjimophreak
Default RE: Remote Starter Question

I'm sure it was an aftermarket, since they are just starting to offer remote starts on vehicles either this year or last. I installed one on my 93 Camaro about 3 years ago. One of the options that you could program into the computer was an auto start feature. In the manual it was described to be used when it was super cold outside and you wanted the car to turn over every so often to keep the engine warm. If I remember correctly, it was something like run for 10-15 minutes every 4 or 6 hrs. Living in NC at the time, I made sure this option was not enabled.

One easy way to fix the problem is to locate the computer for the remote start, unplug the power, then make sure your key still works in the door, ignition, etc. you won't have use of the keyless entry, but at least it won't start on its own. Also, if/when you find the computer box for the remote start, you may be able to find the brand and model on it and then look it up online to figure out if it has that 'option' and if you can disable it. Hope it helps. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2007, 10:45 AM
mschmidt7
Default RE: Remote Starter Question

Thanks very much, that was helpful info!

Quick Reply: Remote Starter Question