1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2003 Dodge Durango SLT - Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 PM
philbo2005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Dodge Durango SLT - Engine Light

Hi Everyone!

I have a 2003 Dodge Durango (36,000 miles). 2 weeks ago the Engine light came on as I was leaving work. I took the car in the next morning. The Auto Repair shop did an engine diagnostic, and said that there was a hole where the emissions come out of. The fixed it (the light went off) and gave me a new gas cap (there was nothing wrong with the gas gap..they just thought that emissions might be escaping from there and another reason the light might be on.

I drove for about another week, and the light came on again…I took it back and they said that they could find nothing wrong with it…everything checked out. The reset the light.

Yesterday the light came back on. Is there a known problem with the light. I’ve paid over 250.00 to get it fixed, and I don’t have a lot of money, and I don’t want to end up on the side of the road…I thought this car would’ve been dependable……

Thanks for any help or advice…..

Phillip

Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Chris
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2003 Dodge Durango SLT - Engine Light

First of all, you paid way too much money for the fix they did. What was the error code itself? Check to see if there is a leak in the gas filler hose. There is also a small black box, on the driver's side of the truck. It is under the bed, near the front of the bed. There will be, about 3/4 inch,rubber lines runing from hard lines into that box. Check to see if they are old/cracked. Did you get specifics on what they did? Error codes themselves would be the best. Go to autozone and they will scan them for free.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:33 AM
philbo2005

I called where I had the work done and it said that "Evap" Code (Emission Control) came up. They replaced the lines and the gas cap.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:35 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When the code comes up again you can pull it yourself. Park the D and cycle the key on 3 times on the third time leave it in the on position and write down the codes post them up and we can help you better with it. You can also see what the actual code is on the top of the forum under "Engine code index".

Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 AM
frankduffey

I am having the same problem the engine light came on so I finally read on here that I can take it to Auto Zone and they will retrive the code for me. They told me that it was a gas cap code but not which one? So I asked them what was causing the problem amnd they said to check the cap Well the cap is on So he said to run some STP Gas Treatment in thye Truck What does that have to do with the gas cap unless it is a gas emission leak or vapor leak from the filler hose. I am not a Mechanic I am a Electrical Engineer and Do understand circuit boards and codes I just want to get the light to go OFF! I just brought the truck last month and I have not taken it back for service because of the long all day wait there and no custody ride back home. I have owned the Truck a little over a month and I am a disabled Veteran, retired now, living on SSDI So I don't have a lot of money for repairs That's why I traded my 1999 Infinity in on this Truck. So I think they should resolve the problem for free even if they do have a 50% Labor Warranty?

Quick Reply: 2003 Dodge Durango SLT - Engine Light