1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

transmission shifting

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: transmission shifting

Changed out both transmission output sensor and rear speed sensor and shift slipperage problems all gone.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:34 AM
yanqui
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission shifting problem

Durango 2000, SLT +, 5.2Lt
75,000 miles
I am having a shifting problem between 2nd to 3rd. It will not shift unless I let off of the gas pause for 2-3 seconds and get back on it, even if I floor it it will max out on RPM's and not shift. Some days the trans work perfect and some days start with the same problem.
I replace the governor sensor and the problem fix for a period of two weeks, but the problem start again. Do i need to replace the the speed sensor, the output sensor and the TPS? Please need yor help.

JuanKa
Puerto Rico

Old 05-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: transmission shifting problem

Mine is starting to act up again as well, but at least it won't get stuck and not shift. Scheduled with the dodge dealer to get the tranny service recommended by HydraShocker. I guess the 2000 models, you need to get the bands and what not re-adjusted as part of the scheduled tranny maintenance service. Hope this permanently fixes this shifting problem.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Gatman

I have a 2001 Durango 4.7L 4X4, I bought it used and it ran great, I took it to a Dodge dealership to have it serviced (trans,eng.,etc.) when I got it back it back it didn't shift the same. It seeems like I am towing a trailer. When I get up some speed to use the cruise and set it the rpm's jump up and then fall back to normal. My gas mileage has decreased. I took back to the dealership,they checked it out (again) and said them can't find anything wrong. Any ideas?

Old 12-18-2006, 12:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gatman

I have a 2001 Durango 4.7L 4X4, I bought it used and it ran great, I took it to a Dodge dealership to have it serviced (trans,eng.,etc.) when I got it back it back it didn't shift the same. It seeems like I am towing a trailer. When I get up some speed to use the cruise and set it the rpm's jump up and then fall back to normal. My gas mileage has decreased. I took back to the dealership,they checked it out (again) and said them can't find anything wrong. Any ideas?
Possible wrong install of the filter I bet.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: Kensai

Mine is starting to act up again as well, but at least it won't get stuck and not shift. Scheduled with the dodge dealer to get the tranny service recommended by HydraShocker. I guess the 2000 models, you need to get the bands and what not re-adjusted as part of the scheduled tranny maintenance service. Hope this permanently fixes this shifting problem.
When tuning up a trany you always want to change and replace the filter and fluid, not just flush. Also have the bands adjusted. This will insure bands are tight and wont slip causing trans failure and fillings in the fluid. Fillings can hang the Governor Switches up or cause other damage with sensors or mechanic makeshift of the trans. People with problems with Governor Switches hanging up should have a good mechanic completely flush the system out Really Good!

Old 12-18-2006, 07:14 PM
tomdobson

My wife has a '98 Durango that has a whining sound and almost feels like it's in 4 wheel drive. I can't tell where the noise is comming from and don't have anyone to help pinpoint it. Could the trans filter install and /or a sensor cause this?

I apologize if this sounds dumb, but my '66 CJ5 don't have these kind of problems.

I found this forum thru a yahoo search and it looks like a friendly "home" with good advise.

Thanks.
Tom

Old 12-19-2006, 12:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Very well could be a filter issue. Welcome to the site

Quick Reply: transmission shifting