1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Security system problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM
mike92a
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security system problems

[:@]just pulled up to the house,and tried to leave again in the 1999 Durango and the car went black. The remote security system was not acitvated. A clicking sound was going off on behind the glove box and the interior light went on dimly . The dome light then went to normalbrightness. I thought maybe the security system was accidently activated so I tried to shut it off... but the remote key entry did not work to unlock or lock the truck.

The ignition system is completely dead. No power now to the interior light or the ignition system. No 'security' light flashing on the dash. The clicking sound behind the glove box continued.

The ground is secure to stable body panels and has no corrosion on it.

Any ideas (besides being a Durango of course)?

Can disconnect the battery and re-connect and system will eventually come back on??????

Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 PM
cstradling24
Default RE: Security system problems

Sounds like the CTM (Central Timer Module) is going bad to me.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blah don't throw that out there yet. Do you have corrosion on the terminals at all??? I would clean those up first. Every time I have let corrosion build up I have that happen. Clean the terminals and coat them in dielectric grease. If that doesn't solve the problem take the battery and get it tested at autozone. I guarantee that is your problem.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:50 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: mike92a

[:@] Any ideas (besides being a Durango of course)?
Nope.

IndyD

Old 05-30-2007, 03:21 PM
indydodge87

I'm having the same issue. I have tried everything i even unplugged the battery cables for like 12 hourshoping it would reset the security system when i plugged them back in but that didn't work. Right now its just chilling at a mall parking lot and i need to get it out of there before it gets towed but i'm a cheap skate and want to just fix it or tow it myself. Mine is doing the same thing glove box keeps ticking and i can sometimes get the interior lights to come on but the remote barely works and it sounds like the horn is dying if i click the panic button or the lock button. All fuses are good grounds are good. I read that it might be the battery but there isn't a spot of corrosion on the terminals and its always fired right up never had any symptoms of a bad battery. I walked into chrysler knowing i would be ripped off if they fixed it but i just wanted to see if you had to do something special like stand on your head with the tail gate open and have the rear window down halfway with the left turn signal on but he just said all you have to do is stick the key in and turn it either way. I just wanted to knock him out right there b/c i am somewhat mechanically inclined and to think i wouldn't have tried that yet!!!! PLEASE HELP!

Old 05-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Test the battery indy it is your problem. I would personally clean the terminals first since it takes a couple minutes and is easy to do and if that is the problem you just saved yourself the cost of a new battery... It has all the indications of a bad connection. One thing you guys need to remember also is that when a battery is going out our D's hate it and wig out. They need the battery to be in great shape.

Quick Reply: Security system problems