1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

96 dodge intrepid no spark

Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Collin0416
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 dodge intrepid no spark

My 96 intrepid stoped running while i was driving it one day. Thought fuel pump was out so i replaced that wouldnt start so i checked a few other things and found that the spark plugs are not sparking at all. I replaced the Ignitioncoil battery and spark plugs. The starter is less than 2 years old and still under waranty. The starter can be heard turning but the engine wont start. Anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: 96 dodge intrepid no spark

Believe it or not, a bad crank sensor may NOT cause the engine light to come on. Also, if you used a OBDII scan tool, there will be no P code for it. You can however verify if the sensor is not sending to the PCM with the key trick (off to on (not starting with crank...just before that key stop) 3 times. Then the light will blink a series two digit codes, ending with 55). You are looking for an 11. If present, the crank sensor is not sending to the PCM (either sensor...likley, wire or PCM). Without this signal, the ASD will not power up and you will have no fuel presure (because the pump is off) and there will be no spark. You could also have a bad CAM sensor, but I have found the engine light and OBDII reader usually flag this.

One last thought, the ASD relay itself... an easy swap with another to verify. Let me know the outcome of the key trick and or relay. We can go from there.

Kurt

Old 04-16-2008, 08:11 PM
Collin0416
Default RE: 96 dodge intrepid no spark

sorry for the wait on a response didnt check back until i got home from work today. Thanks for the tip i checked the wireing and its all good. Ill have to check the crank sensor next.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:38 PM
Brent Johnson
Default same problem with no engine light at all...

even checked the bulb, to no avail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 dodge intrepid no spark